Author Topic: Jailan Haslem - 2017 C - signed LOI to Charlotte  (Read 5163 times)

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:46 pm
"A big that we desperately need committed to us the day before signing day and the first reply is negative towards him. At least save negative comments until the ink is dry on the NLI."

nah.  we're doing great.  just keep up what we've been doing here.  we'll be fine.   the recruits who come here to read about themselves are used to social media, blahblah.
bs. 
seriously.  i wonder how many potential recruits have come on nn.n early in the process and seen how we trash coaches, current players, recruits.  hell, the whole athletic department, not to mention the athletic director herself.   great recruiting assist i'm sure.
but....these kids (many of them "prima donnas" who know little other than how great they are) drop in here.  make no mistake about it.   
our negativity is overwhelming.  winning will surely help, but some brightening of attitude here could become a factor too.
Metro tweeted directly at a recruit and he didn't change mind. If you suck as a coach you should be called out on it. Very simple.
What good comes of bad mouthing coaches to recruits? Just because no apparent harm came from Metro's tweets does not mean it was a good idea. I believe he wound up apologizing for that, by the way.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:43:25 pm by moss2k »

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 11:16:23 pm
What was the tweet?
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #52 on: April 13, 2017, 06:09:56 am
"A big that we desperately need committed to us the day before signing day and the first reply is negative towards him. At least save negative comments until the ink is dry on the NLI."

nah.  we're doing great.  just keep up what we've been doing here.  we'll be fine.   the recruits who come here to read about themselves are used to social media, blahblah.
bs. 
seriously.  i wonder how many potential recruits have come on nn.n early in the process and seen how we trash coaches, current players, recruits.  hell, the whole athletic department, not to mention the athletic director herself.   great recruiting assist i'm sure.
but....these kids (many of them "prima donnas" who know little other than how great they are) drop in here.  make no mistake about it.   
our negativity is overwhelming.  winning will surely help, but some brightening of attitude here could become a factor too.
Metro tweeted directly at a recruit and he didn't change mind. If you suck as a coach you should be called out on it. Very simple.
What good comes of bad mouthing coaches to recruits? Just because no apparent harm came from Metro's tweets does not mean it was a good idea. I believe he wound up apologizing for that, by the way.
This is a bleeping message board for fans to get together. There will be both positive and negative posts. That's reality. When you don't have success like we haven't, more negative than positive. Doesn't matter what sport it is.

NLP

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
Reply #53 on: April 13, 2017, 06:53:06 am
Haslem is not responsible for anything that preceded him, which is why it's easy for me to be hopeful for a recruit and not project my frustration with the past on to him.

Beyond that it's really a matter of decency at the end of the day. This kid is signing up to come here and play for us. He's openly stating he wants to be part of a team that puts us back where we want to be. No way am I going to look for the negatives in a kid like that.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

cltniners

Reply #54 on: April 13, 2017, 07:06:46 am
clt says we need more Carrie underwood and alpha duster chat pic. That will lure 5 star players.

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #55 on: April 13, 2017, 07:10:51 am
What was the tweet?

Pretty sure he tweeted at recruits not to come here during Major's era. Was absurd.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #56 on: April 13, 2017, 08:29:31 am
Haslem is not responsible for anything that preceded him, which is why it's easy for me to be hopeful for a recruit and not project my frustration with the past on to him.

Beyond that it's really a matter of decency at the end of the day. This kid is signing up to come here and play for us. He's openly stating he wants to be part of a team that puts us back where we want to be. No way am I going to look for the negatives in a kid like that.

Agree.  And I'm pretty sure that Over40NINER would agree with this too.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Hawthorne_49er

• Freshman
Reply #57 on: April 13, 2017, 08:56:23 am
Video of Haslem's team.  There are several more on youtube.  I think he is #32.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:03:28 am by Hawthorne_49er »

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #58 on: April 13, 2017, 10:51:17 am
Thanks for posting those videos Hawthorne_49er. I didn't watch all of them, but in a few minutes I did notice some interesting things. He's got legitimate size, enough to bang down low for position and rebounds if he wants to. I didn't see him block any shots, but he did affect what the other team did on offense. They checked their drives to the basket if he got over to cover the move, so he may have potential to be a defensive presence we've completely lacked in the past two years. He's not super fast, I'd say he moves like a 7+ footer, but he seems quick enough to contribute in the post.

I wish he was a freshman, so he'd have more time to develop skills and endurance for the college game. But I'm glad he decided to come to Charlotte, hopefully he is quick to adjust. Most jucos we get probably 1.5 quality years from them at most in the past, but we need help right away.

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #59 on: April 13, 2017, 10:58:32 am
Thanks for posting those videos Hawthorne_49er. I didn't watch all of them, but in a few minutes I did notice some interesting things. He's got legitimate size, enough to bang down low for position and rebounds if he wants to. I didn't see him block any shots, but he did affect what the other team did on offense. They checked their drives to the basket if he got over to cover the move, so he may have potential to be a defensive presence we've completely lacked in the past two years. He's not super fast, I'd say he moves like a 7+ footer, but he seems quick enough to contribute in the post.

I wish he was a freshman, so he'd have more time to develop skills and endurance for the college game. But I'm glad he decided to come to Charlotte, hopefully he is quick to adjust. Most jucos we get probably 1.5 quality years from them at most in the past, but we need help right away.

Affecting shot selection is exactly what we need. Glad he's here.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #60 on: April 13, 2017, 12:03:37 pm
Could he be our best Center since Phil Jones?

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #61 on: April 13, 2017, 12:16:04 pm
Joseph Uchebo is offended.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #62 on: April 13, 2017, 12:47:06 pm
IMO, Thorne was better than Phil.

Phil was a great shotblocker, something we have desperately needed for several years now, but Thorne was a better scorer and rebounder.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #63 on: April 13, 2017, 01:48:06 pm

Phil was a great shotblocker, something we have desperately needed for several years now, but Thorne was a better scorer and rebounder.

No way. Phil was way better,on offense also. Much better shooter.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:51:52 pm by ninerfan55 »

cltniners

Reply #64 on: April 13, 2017, 02:14:57 pm
clt's top centers list:

El tamir
Beans
Larry

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #65 on: April 13, 2017, 03:03:21 pm
What are you guys talking about? It's all about Iti.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #66 on: April 13, 2017, 03:04:49 pm

Yeah Phil was almost automatic from the top of the key. 
Mahna Mahna

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #67 on: April 13, 2017, 03:05:12 pm
clt's top centers list:

El tamir
Beans
Larry

I don't think you can leave Vanhook off that list.  He is the only center we have had that was top 3 in points, rebounds and technicals.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #68 on: April 13, 2017, 03:42:24 pm

you could argue he was better offensively and not look silly but you can't say way better. PHIL played pretty soft around the basket. Thorne went hard.

Personally I prefer a center that sucks the defense in rather than one that will stand around the perimeter.

If Phil had Thorne's inside presence and rebounding he probably would have made it to the NBA. He got a few preseason stints even with the holes in his game.

Hopefully Haslem can be more of a hybrid of Thorne and Phil.  More than anything though, I want him to block and alter shots and not give up easy rebounds.  That's the lowest hanging fruit for improvement for this team.

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #69 on: April 13, 2017, 03:48:28 pm
clt's top centers list:

El tamir
Beans
Larry

I don't think you can leave Vanhook off that list.  He is the only center we have had that was top 3 in points, rebounds and technicals.

Expect nothing less from that quality Cape Fear CC pipe line

gamer

• Senior
Reply #70 on: April 13, 2017, 04:19:21 pm
Phil would have been more of an asset had he been able to pass.
The greatest boon in the popularity of Chapel Hill sports was the advent of cash registers that automatically figure change.

cltniners

Reply #71 on: April 13, 2017, 04:35:35 pm
clt would like to see us recuit a center like wilt, the goat.

Ben H

• Senior
Reply #72 on: April 13, 2017, 04:37:35 pm
How can you seriously be forgetting Gokhan Sirin who left us after only 2 years to go pro???
Ben H

jfickett

• Senior Captain
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

austinniner

• Senior
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos