Author Topic: Good publicity on the Smithsonian Channel  (Read 486 times)

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
on: April 17, 2017, 12:39:08 am
The Smithsonian Channel is running a program, The Real Jesus of Nazareth, which features Robert Powell, the actor who played Jesus in the 1977 movie.

Charlotte faculty member Shimon Gibson is featured in the program. His team of archeologists found an ancient bath where it appears the followers of John the Baptist baptized early Christians.

He was identified as a University of North Carolina at Charlotte faculty member. Bart Ehrman, who hogs the screen in all of these programs, was identified as a University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill faculty member. To achieve equal billing with a famous UNC-CH Professor is a good day for Charlotte until a Bowl Victory comes along. 

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 07:29:24 am
This publicity is nowhere as good as all the great publicity we get from the Observer. 

Smithsonian Channel?  I don't think I get that one in my cable package.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

49erCC

• Freshman
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:07:23 am
The Smithsonian Channel is running a program, The Real Jesus of Nazareth, which features Robert Powell, the actor who played Jesus in the 1977 movie.

Charlotte faculty member Shimon Gibson is featured in the program. His team of archeologists found an ancient bath where it appears the followers of John the Baptist baptized early Christians.

He was identified as a University of North Carolina at Charlotte faculty member. Bart Ehrman, who hogs the screen in all of these programs, was identified as a University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill faculty member. To achieve equal billing with a famous UNC-CH Professor is a good day for Charlotte until a Bowl Victory comes along.
Thanks, I'll check it out

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:51:07 am

Shimon is an awesome professor that has a ton of on the ground experience. He leads the UNC Charlotte dig in Jerusalem and we're the only non Israeli school that's allowed to dig there. 

Bart Ehrman commonly gets ragged on by our religious studies professors because he carries a super liberal viewpoint with crazy ideas. Somehow the man is still famous though and is considered a big name in religious studies.   
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

cltniners

• Athletic Director
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:52:58 am
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:16:44 am
More Shimon Gibson sightings on other episodes and more good publicity for the U. of Charlotte, although not by that name.

Bart Ehrman is a Biblical Scholar who studied everything a Divinity Student would have learned in the '70s and '80s, but made a 90 degree left turn at the last minute, deciding he did not believe in the Divinity of Christ.

That makes him a hot property in the academic world. Agnostics & Non-believers/ love his academic writings. His popular writings are snatched up by liberal church members who ponder his writings and more conservative Christians who want to find fault with his work.

About 15 years ago, he was a paid speaker at my church, Myers Park Baptist Church. No one would challenge or even question his statements as to why he did not believe in the Divinity of Christ. I spoke with him right before he left. As he was walking out, he turned and looked at the congregation as he was leaving. He seemed to have a look on his face that indicated, "That wasn't as bad as I thought!"

Lee Rose was/is a member of Myers Park Baptist.

PS. Robert Powell is the narrator of many documentaries about WWII and other historic topics. He has gone from playing Jesus 40 years ago to being a grand old man of theater. If you're my age, he's been around almost my entire adult life. Just like Melvin Watkins and Cedric Maxwell.   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:22:17 am by frequentvisitor »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos