Author Topic: Conference Realignment  (Read 255277 times)

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #1725 on: March 03, 2017, 09:59:48 pm
Wichita State being discussed as possibly joining the American Conference.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/wichita-state-getting-serious-evaluation-to-join-american-athletic-conference/?clickid=3QgQ8oV1iR2y31CXREwau0tXUkhw0t1hrxjX2k0&irgwc=1&clickid=wPQTbXUwLV1VyOUXnORjaVYWUkhw0aQNTUe4Q80&irgwc=1
Worth noting:
CBS Sports reported last May that Wichita State had interest in joining the Mountain West. Part of that upgrade effort was to add football. Sources indicated that a feasibility study to re-institute football at Wichita State has lost momentum.

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #1726 on: March 04, 2017, 08:48:31 am
So Wichita State is the " marker/ bar"  of the type of program the AAC is looking for to join in basketball.  How has our program stacked up against theirs in the last 10 years to see where we stand?
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #1727 on: March 04, 2017, 08:57:13 am
Wichita State under GM (07/08 through 16/17):

257-89
5 Conference Regular Season titles
1 Conference Tournament title
2 NITs (champions once)
5 NCAAs (probably a 6th this year)
1 Sweet Sixteen
1 Final Four
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #1728 on: March 04, 2017, 09:09:17 pm
If Wichita State goes to the AAC, then Judy Rose should clean out her desk immediately. When you consider CUSA.1 and all those teams and look at where we are at now...you cannot make any argument that Rose should still be leading our athletic department.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #1729 on: March 06, 2017, 11:09:11 am
Guys, Dayton and VCU are being mentioned for American expansion, not just Wichita State.

CUSA is no better than the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt also has App and Coastal. That being said, they also have a lot of far out teams as well.

IMHO, I agree with everyone saying travel expenses are eating away at us, and we would get much more regional interest (ticket sales/radio coverage) if we played local teams in conference. That being said I do not currently see anything in the works to create more geographically aligned conferences. Am I missing something? The Sun Belt is already established, and CUSA is already established.

As for TV coverage, I have seen as many Big South games as CUSA games over the '16-'17 season. That should tell you everything you need to know.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #1730 on: March 06, 2017, 11:13:57 am
Guys, Dayton and VCU are being mentioned for American expansion, not just Wichita State.

CUSA is no better than the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt also has App and Coastal. That being said, they also have a lot of far out teams as well.

IMHO, I agree with everyone saying travel expenses are eating away at us, and we would get much more regional interest (ticket sales/radio coverage) if we played local teams in conference. That being said I do not currently see anything in the works to create more geographically aligned conferences. Am I missing something? The Sun Belt is already established, and CUSA is already established.

As for TV coverage, I have seen as many Big South games as CUSA games over the '16-'17 season. That should tell you everything you need to know.

We can look back 20 years all we want, but we are in CUSA because of football. Yes we were late to the game. Putting that aside, to get football, we had to move into CUSA. We have sucked in this conference. That is the problem. Win and get noticed. It is that simple.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #1731 on: March 06, 2017, 11:41:02 am
We can look back 20 years all we want, but we are in CUSA because of football. Yes we were late to the game. Putting that aside, to get football, we had to move into CUSA. We have sucked in this conference. That is the problem. Win and get noticed. It is that simple.

I have no faith in Judy Rose and or Phil. What sucks so much is that I do not believe we can be relevant in football or basketball until Phil & Judy are gone. It's no longer "next year," but "three years from now," IMHO. Maybe at that point we will have someone who can run things correctly and we will be a big fish in a small pond.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #1732 on: March 06, 2017, 11:56:50 am

I have no faith in Judy Rose and or Phil. What sucks so much is that I do not believe we can be relevant in football or basketball until Phil & Judy are gone. It's no longer "next year," but "three years from now," IMHO. Maybe at that point we will have someone who can run things correctly and we will be a big fish in a small pond.

I assume you want Price and Lambert replaced, because while Judy and Phil hired them, the coaches do the recruiting and coaching.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #1733 on: March 06, 2017, 12:04:31 pm

I assume you want Price and Lambert replaced, because while Judy and Phil hired them, the coaches do the recruiting and coaching.

There is a lot more that goes into a successful program then having a good coach. The marketing, alumni relations, media relations and quality of the athletic department can make a coaches job a lot easier or a lot harder.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #1734 on: March 06, 2017, 12:59:25 pm

I do not have a great amount of faith in Price or Lambert, but they could still succeed. Phil and Judy, on the other hand, are completely inept and will not give the coaches or programs the support we need. This goes for marketing, contract negotiating, facilities, reaching out to alumni, involving students, SOAR. It is all encompassing.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #1735 on: March 06, 2017, 02:37:07 pm

There is a lot more that goes into a successful program then having a good coach. The marketing, alumni relations, media relations and quality of the athletic department can make a coaches job a lot easier or a lot harder.

Of course, but I assume that great marketing won't really make a losing program relevant.  At least not one that is currently irrelevant.  Perhaps you see it differently?  Win or die.  That is where we are.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #1736 on: March 06, 2017, 03:02:48 pm

Of course, but I assume that great marketing won't really make a losing program relevant.  At least not one that is currently irrelevant.  Perhaps you see it differently?  Win or die.  That is where we are.

Winning is part of the equation, I definitely agree with that, but you have to put your coaches in positions to win/recruit at a high level and then help make it easier for them to sustain it.

NC State building a high quality football stadium in the early 2000s was a result of them getting donations and engaging their alumni, despite the football program being historically mediocre. This makes it easier for coaches to win. That was ground work done by the AD (a WSJ article is out there about it).

Winthrop did a grass roots marketing campaign to fill up their arena for one of the bigger games of the season. They went to classes, greek life, the immediate community and businesses, to create a big time environment which in part helped the basketball team win a big game (another article that got posted around here a while back).

A prime example is this. Our baseball team is hot right now, they're good and representing the university well. They're going to NC A&T(big city near by) and ECU (top ranked team) this week. For NCA&T lets do a Niner meet up after the game in some bar, heck maybe even get the coach and to stop by and talk with the fans if we win. At worst you just have people from the AD there, failed and try again I guess. Why aren't we doing a Niner road trip for the ECU game on Saturday? Maybe get a bus and take some students over there. A lot of students are from NC, they probably have friends at ECU, lets make it an event.

It those kind of things that the AD doesn't do that would make the coaches job easier to win, engage the community/students/fans and provide us with more money.

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #1737 on: March 06, 2017, 03:03:04 pm

Winning is great obviously but no one comes to things they don't know about.  I had a WVU fan at the baseball game say I had no idea this school was this big.  He loved our football stadium and asked how much season tickets were.  It is always better to win, but the idea that the only way to increase relevance in our market is by winning is flawed.
Mahna Mahna

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #1738 on: March 06, 2017, 10:13:52 pm

Winning is great obviously but no one comes to things they don't know about. 

That's the same thing Over used to tell us.

I had a WVU fan at the baseball game say I had no idea this school was this big.  He loved our football stadium and asked how much season tickets were. 

I hope you explained he has to be a FSL holder to buy season tickets.  ☹️

Sadly, we have thrown away more potential than some schools have ever seen.

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

cltniners

Reply #1739 on: March 07, 2017, 06:10:30 am

Winning is great obviously but no one comes to things they don't know about. 

That's the same thing Over used to tell us.

I had a WVU fan at the baseball game say I had no idea this school was this big.  He loved our football stadium and asked how much season tickets were. 

I hope you explained he has to be a FSL holder to buy season tickets.  ☹️

Sadly, we have thrown away more potential than some schools have ever seen.

clt asks about the WVU fan's mullet. Strong or glorious?

chidave

• Junior
Reply #1740 on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:08 am

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #1741 on: March 21, 2017, 08:53:35 am
http://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/5160883-151/gonzaga-on-future-league-were-going-to-do

Gonzaga may be interested in making a move.
Gonzaga moving to a bigger conference could certainly take their basketball program up an notch. However, they don't have football so I feel like that limits them on where they can go come realignment time.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

cltniners

Reply #1742 on: March 21, 2017, 09:17:36 am
clt says gonzaga to the big east.

NinerFutbol

• Walk On
Reply #1743 on: March 21, 2017, 10:17:17 am
That is so crazy it probably will happen.   It's only 30 min from Spokane to the famous ' Floating Green' -
http://www.cdaresort.com/discover/golf/floating-green

cltniners

Reply #1744 on: March 21, 2017, 01:40:32 pm
That is so crazy it probably will happen.   It's only 30 min from Spokane to the famous ' Floating Green' -

clt aced the 14th. with a gap wedge.

NinerFutbol

• Walk On
Reply #1745 on: March 21, 2017, 02:12:17 pm

clt aced the 14th. with a gap wedge.
I believe the Floating Green is most famous when John Daly fell out of the little ferry boat drunk while 'playing' in the tournament there!

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #1748 on: March 31, 2017, 04:37:19 pm
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/wichita-state-could-join-aac-missouri-valley-conference/ziuvqmyxjgxc156ksbkx4arev#

No football not hurting WSU or the Zags!!

They are 2 very isolated and very extreme examples.

Anomalies in fact. Unicorns of college sports. Who happen to have killer b-ball programs.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #1749 on: March 31, 2017, 05:14:02 pm
Were they extreme examples or unicorns in the mid to late 90s to early 2000s?

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos