Author Topic: 2017 Men's Hoops Coaching Carousel  (Read 14731 times)

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 03:13:41 pm
NC State just hired Keatts from UNCW.
That probably stops the transfer train from Charlotte to Wilmington.
#unc-CHeatingPays

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 04:50:09 pm
Wow Illinois steals Brad Underwood from Oklahoma St after one year.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 04:50:31 pm

Funny how someone showed a very positive post from Dorn regarding the new hire.  Can't remember what if any response was his initial response to hearing about the Mark Price hire when he was here.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

cltniners

Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 05:22:49 pm

Funny how someone showed a very positive post from Dorn regarding the new hire.  Can't remember what if any response was his initial response to hearing about the Mark Price hire when he was here.

clt says dorn is stuck at UNC r

CivilNiner

• Walk On
Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 06:13:25 pm
Most State fans I've talked to act like they're above hiring a coach from UNCW, but I like the hire a lot. Been saying since they let Gottfried go that he would be a good replacement. I'll be interested to see how be pans out.

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 08:00:12 pm
Good hire for NCSU.  Didn't waste time dancing with guys who aren't interested.

Underwood leaves Oklahoma State after 1 season to take over at Illinois.  Kind of surprising given his ties to the Big 12 and that general region.

I imagine Evans must be going pro.

Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 10:26:57 pm

He was positive.  He kept practicing with the team.  He just didn't want to rebuild.
Mahna Mahna

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 10:55:23 pm

He was positive.  He kept practicing with the team.  He just didn't want to rebuild.

Good God! His leaving was a big reason we had to rebuild. Dorn's "positive" now and staying, cause he's stuck. STUCK.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 01:11:31 pm
Mike Hopkins (Syracuse) hired by Washington. He was reported as a finalist for our job when Major was hired.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 05:01:09 pm
Mike Hopkins (Syracuse) hired by Washington. He was reported as a finalist for our job when Major was hired.
Hopkins used us to become Cuse's HC in waiting. Doubt he ever really considered us.

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 03:39:24 pm
Trying to figure out how Keatts winning in preps and then CAA translates to winning in the ACC  - Having a hard time seeing that bet as not very risky.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 03:40:46 pm
Trying to figure out how Keatts winning in preps and then CAA translates to winning in the ACC  - Having a hard time seeing that bet as not very risky.
Because he's won at all his stops so far? That said, there are no guarantees when hiring a coach.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 03:52:43 pm
Because he's won at all his stops so far? That said, there are no guarantees when hiring a coach.

Also not sure how/why you would disparage the CAA.  The CAA was ranked 9th last year and 10th/11th this year.  They regularly play and often beat P5 teams (NC State fans need look no further than the 17 point drubbing they received in their home opener last year from William & Mary).  Disparagement of the CAA is simply an assumption based on the fact that it includes less-marketed athletic programs from smaller schools - it certainly isn't because of their level of play.  I think all of us would love to see C-USA sniff being a top-10 conference again.  To do that, we'd have to nudge out the CAA.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 06:59:45 pm

Yes. Anyone who has followed basketball for a while knows this. Just one example is Jim Valvano from IONA. There are many more.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 07:40:03 pm
Keatts took over a school that hadn't finished better than 8th in almost 10 years and finished in 1st all three years. They had won 9 games the year prior.

He doubled their win total his first season. He then nearly tripled it in his second season and did so this past season.

At age 44 he has ties to NC, VA, KY, and WV, along with learning under one of the best coaches in the game.

It's a no brainer hire.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 08:17:07 pm
Keatts took over a school that hadn't finished better than 8th in almost 10 years and finished in 1st all three years. They had won 9 games the year prior.

He doubled their win total his first season. He then nearly tripled it in his second season and did so this past season.

At age 44 he has ties to NC, VA, KY, and WV, along with learning under one of the best coaches in the game.

It's a no brainer hire.
you mean you don't need 4 years to turn a program around?

jfickett

Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 08:25:14 pm

It's a no brainer hire.
you mean you don't need 4 years to turn a program around?

This so hard

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 08:39:04 pm
Wow Illinois steals Brad Underwood from Oklahoma St after one year.

Not sure what Underwood has accomplished to get a top 10 collegiate coaching salary, but if the Illini are crazy enough to pay it, then can't blame him for taking the money and fleeing Stillwater ASAP!

Anyway, college hoops analyst and former Cowboy PG Doug Gottlieb is lobbying for the vacancy at his alma mater.

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:11 pm

Also not sure how/why you would disparage the CAA.  The CAA was ranked 9th last year and 10th/11th this year.  They regularly play and often beat P5 teams (NC State fans need look no further than the 17 point drubbing they received in their home opener last year from William & Mary).  Disparagement of the CAA is simply an assumption based on the fact that it includes less-marketed athletic programs from smaller schools - it certainly isn't because of their level of play.  I think all of us would love to see C-USA sniff being a top-10 conference again.  To do that, we'd have to nudge out the CAA.
Richmond and VCU LEFT the CAA, for the A10 no less - Not sure the CAA over the last 5-10 years has been all that great.
My guess is Keatts will need to produce immediately (within 2 years) or be on the hot seat.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 09:46:05 pm
Not sure the CAA over the last 5-10 years has been all that great.
CAA did have Final Four teams in George Mason (2006) and VCU (2011), if that counts for anything.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 09:51:31 pm
Not sure the CAA over the last 5-10 years has been all that great.
CAA did have Final Four teams in George Mason (2006) and VCU (2011), if that counts for anything.

It does.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:43 pm
Jeff Goodman reporting Will Wade to LSU

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 10:29:18 pm
Jeff Goodman reporting Will Wade to LSU
Good for VCU, hope their next hire sucks.

Also: Will Wade may be the biggest mercenary currently in college basketball.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:35:27 pm by JB »
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 10:38:17 pm
I like for the VCUs of the world to do well.  I think they will find a solid replacement.  I am actually not sold on Wade, I believe he succeeded due to Shaka's left over players and a watered down A10.  The expectations will be high for the next coach, but not sure that will be an easy situation.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 11:04:52 pm
I like for the VCUs of the world to do well.  I think they will find a solid replacement.
Among the names being mentioned are former VCU assistants Mike Rhoades of Rice and Jamion Christian of Mount St. Mary's

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos