Author Topic: MBB transfer thread  (Read 20607 times)

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #150 on: March 19, 2017, 12:42:38 pm
Hard to believe Clark didn't dominate at USC and GCU. Major was clearly the problem.

He was.  he started Clark ahead of a sr who averaged 16 pts a game shooting 51% from the field the previous season.  As a coach he managed to inflate the head of a freshmen and destroy the confidence of a sr, then lose said freshmen because of finally benching him.  Had Major handled him correctly we could have used Clark's skill set later in his career.

I actually thought the strategy of having Bras come off the bench after the opponent's starters made their 1st rotation, was a decent move. We had some success with it early on. But as the year played out, Darion was less effective and it was clear a change needed to be made. Maybe starting Bras all along would've proven to be a better move - but I didn't mind what he was trying. Darion needed to man up a little bit with the PT change.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #151 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:27 pm
Hard to believe Clark didn't dominate at USC and GCU. Major was clearly the problem.

He was.  he started Clark ahead of a sr who averaged 16 pts a game shooting 51% from the field the previous season.  As a coach he managed to inflate the head of a freshmen and destroy the confidence of a sr, then lose said freshmen because of finally benching him.  Had Major handled him correctly we could have used Clark's skill set later in his career.

I actually thought the strategy of having Bras come off the bench after the opponent's starters made their 1st rotation, was a decent move. We had some success with it early on. But as the year played out, Darion was less effective and it was clear a change needed to be made. Maybe starting Bras all along would've proven to be a better move - but I didn't mind what he was trying. Darion needed to man up a little bit with the PT change.

I can't think of a team ever that had their best player coming off of the bench.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #152 on: March 19, 2017, 11:46:13 pm

That's not what you said.  You said key player, not dominate.

BTW, Major never had a player to dominate.  Kind of unfair to say that about Clark and not hold the same judgement for every other player under his regime. 

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #153 on: March 20, 2017, 12:14:37 am

BTW, Major never had a player to dominate.  Kind of unfair to say that about Clark and not hold the same judgement for every other player under his regime.
I would say Braswell dominated at times. And Henry took over some games. Maybe not against top-flight competition, but it's unfair to say that nobody dominated under Major.

I'm not sure what this discussion is for though. Major was not a good coach. It doesn't really matter whether his problems with transfers were worse than Price or not at this point. They seem to both have had issues with it that hurt the program.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #154 on: March 20, 2017, 09:16:26 am

I would say Braswell dominated at times. And Henry took over some games. Maybe not against top-flight competition, but it's unfair to say that nobody dominated under Major.

I'm not sure what this discussion is for though. Major was not a good coach. It doesn't really matter whether his problems with transfers were worse than Price or not at this point. They seem to both have had issues with it that hurt the program.

Braswell was Lutz.

"Dominate" is broad in meaning.  But to me, 3rd team CUSA is not dominate.  Henry had his moments defensively, that were awesome to watch.  But it's very difficult for a defensive player to dominate a game.

FWIW, I felt like both Lester and Dorn had the potential to be that type of player, 1st team all conference.  But unfortunately we'll never know.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #155 on: March 20, 2017, 09:20:19 am
Mayfield

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #156 on: March 20, 2017, 09:28:33 am
Touche

moss2k

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #157 on: March 20, 2017, 12:38:53 pm
What we have to do is end up with a net-positive on transfers. They are going to happen, we need to bring in better than we lose. Ideally, we could land 1 or 2 incoming transfers a year.

Transfer bigs would be biggest impact, IMO, since those are harder to land coming from HS/Prep.

NLP

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
Reply #158 on: March 20, 2017, 01:07:52 pm
Bring Batts back to Charlotte
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #159 on: March 20, 2017, 01:15:01 pm
I want the entire VCU class. Not kidding. They would fill every need we have, and together with what we bring back, we could do some damage in CUSA.
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #160 on: March 20, 2017, 03:13:33 pm
And Izundu

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #161 on: March 20, 2017, 05:56:10 pm
And Izundu
That one is on Coach Price. He couldn't convince him to be a Niner. You got to be able to sell your program.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #162 on: March 20, 2017, 06:24:18 pm
Back to the subject of QJ transferring, I think it a big lost for the Niner. This teams needs a point guard.
As much as I love JD i'm not convince he is a point guard or that point guard is the best fit for him on
this team. His numbers against teams that finishing with a winning record are not very good. In 16 games
against teams with winning records he had 54 assist & 53 turnovers. That needs to improve or move him
to the 2 guard.

NinerT

• Walk On
Reply #163 on: March 20, 2017, 06:40:54 pm
Back to the subject of QJ transferring, I think it a big lost for the Niner. This teams needs a point guard.
As much as I love JD i'm not convince he is a point guard or that point guard is the best fit for him on
this team. His numbers against teams that finishing with a winning record are not very good. In 16 games
against teams with winning records he had 54 assist & 53 turnovers. That needs to improve or move him
to the 2 guard.

cltniners

Reply #164 on: March 21, 2017, 06:27:55 am
clt says beans could have ran the point.

NinerT

• Walk On
Reply #165 on: March 21, 2017, 08:45:40 am
I think JD is a good pg. This team was less talented and I think he felt like he had to do more against those schools.
His asst/to ratio was far greater as a freshman do to inside presence.  Losing QJ will hurt imo..

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #166 on: March 21, 2017, 11:27:28 am
to the 2 guard.

I definitely think there is room for improvement from him in that respect, but I also think that it is also partially a result of JD having to try to create offense for this team so much.  There were not many guys that could consistently and effectively create offense for themselves.
The Things I Would Always Like To See From 49ers Mens Basketball:

1. Good young men with good character.

2. Actually be taught good fundamental defense.

ninerball49

• Senior Captain
  • is that trips?
Reply #167 on: March 21, 2017, 11:37:27 am
to the 2 guard.

I definitely think there is room for improvement from him in that respect, but I also think that it is also partially a result of JD having to try to create offense for this team so much.  There were not many guys that could consistently and effectively create offense for themselves.

JD also isn't a run around screens/catch and shoot type of guy and wouldn't be able to guard the 2.  Staring at assist:turnover ratio as a basis for evaluating a point guard is asinine.  You have a guy who averages 6 assists and 2 turnovers, is that who you want?  Cause he's not scoring 8 billion a game and carrying an entire team/beating teams at the buzzer.  I'll take JD and whatever ratio he wants to bring with what we get with it.  People tried to do this with Pierria too.  Dude was a football safety on the court and someone you definitely want leading your team.  If you find a stat that tells you either one of PH or JD is not the PG we want, kill it with fire.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:50:32 am by ninerball49 »
we have football

clap clap clapclapclap

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #168 on: March 21, 2017, 12:22:04 pm
22 days til Spring signing.......we'll see just what this staff can pull off.
It sure better big !

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #169 on: March 21, 2017, 12:39:52 pm
clt says beans could have ran the point.
Riley!

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #170 on: March 21, 2017, 12:49:35 pm
It sure better big !

Jobs should depend on these next 3 weeks. I'm not sure we have those standards though.
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

moss2k

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #171 on: March 21, 2017, 12:55:34 pm
It sure better big !

Jobs should depend on these next 3 weeks. I'm not sure we have those standards though.
I don't think you can pin Judy's lack of accountability onto what Price will or won't do. We're finishing up year 2, lets see what happens.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #172 on: March 21, 2017, 03:12:00 pm
to the 2 guard.

JD also isn't a run around screens/catch and shoot type of guy and wouldn't be able to guard the 2.  Staring at assist:turnover ratio as a basis for evaluating a point guard is asinine.  You have a guy who averages 6 assists and 2 turnovers, is that who you want?  Cause he's not scoring 8 billion a game and carrying an entire team/beating teams at the buzzer.  I'll take JD and whatever ratio he wants to bring with what we get with it.  People tried to do this with Pierria too.  Dude was a football safety on the court and someone you definitely want leading your team.  If you find a stat that tells you either one of PH or JD is not the PG we want, kill it with fire.

Hello, my name is Frank Mason.

Overall, I agree with you though.  John Davis is an excellent guy to run the team.  He could improve his assist/to ratio a little.  I feel confident that with additional help  that will happen.

NinerT

• Walk On
Reply #173 on: March 21, 2017, 03:46:09 pm
Agreed! Pg is the last position we need to worry about. That's in pretty safe hands! If JD stays, he wI'll go down as one of the all time 49ers.  On pace for 2,000 pts and 500 asst. Hopefully Ryan will be a serviceable backup with QJ leaving.

ninerball49

• Senior Captain
  • is that trips?
Reply #174 on: March 21, 2017, 03:56:26 pm
to the 2 guard.

Hello, my name is Frank Mason.

Overall, I agree with you though.  John Davis is an excellent guy to run the team.  He could improve his assist/to ratio a little.  I feel confident that with additional help  that will happen.

well and to be fair if JD was him he'd be playing basketball at like, somewhere without curtains
we have football

clap clap clapclapclap

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos