Author Topic: OK State post mortem  (Read 2648 times)

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 12:53:34 pm
It was ugly.  A game I would on paper expect us to win, but we were run out of the gym.  We still don't play defense.  My, how far we have fallen.  It will take us forever to climb back up.  After 40 years of fandom, I considered throwing in the towel seriously for the first time ever.  Man, it really sucks to be a Niner right now, and I experienced the H@# Wiss&#$ years as a fan.

Must be nice not to have random drug testing at work.

Oklahoma State (Top 50 in KenPom preseason) was predicted to win by 16, ended up winning by 18 but that does not tell the story of the game.

Our defense did not improve, and may have gotten worse. We are so bad that we aren't even in a position to send them to the line (we out-shot them from the FT line 32 to 18).

We also were completely lost on offense aside from being ice cold from outside the arc. We shot <36% on 2-pointers. We were completely unprepared to get shots off inside the paint. (Perhaps we should compete against D1 talent before running headfirst into P5 buzz-saw).

On the bright side, Charleston got absolutely handled by Wichita State in similar fashion to how Oklahoma State handled us. The Shockers are certainly projected to do better than the Cowboys, but Charleston was the favorite to win CAA. Even good well coached teams can get ran off the court.

The game on Saturday will be a very strong indicator for the season, Charleston has better metrics but we will have home court. A win would hopefully indicate that the OK State was an outlier, and a bad night. But a home loss, especially a non-competitive won would certainly throw a wet blanket on even the most humble expectations of the season.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 12:55:55 pm
Big O not aware that Carroll has been suspended.
CHARLOTTE (1-0) at OKLAHOMA STATE (1-0)

Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater, Okla., 8 p.m.

These teams played once before – 38 years ago (the 49ers won). The Cowboys are picked to finish last in the Big 12, but forward Jeffrey Carroll (averaged 17.8 points last season) is a big-time threat. The 49ers pummeled Division III Methodist in their opener.
Charlotteobserver.com: College basketball: Monday’s area games to watch

So, we lost by 18 to what's projected to be the worst Big 12 team who also happened to be missing their best player?

Ouch

The worst Big XII team was still projected to be Top 50 in the country.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 01:45:04 pm

These teams played once before – 38 years ago (the 49ers won). The Cowboys are picked to finish last in the Big 12, but forward Jeffrey Carroll (averaged 17.8 points last season) is a big-time threat. The 49ers pummeled Division III Methodist in their opener.

So, we lost by 18 to what's projected to be the worst Big 12 team who also happened to be missing their best player?

Ouch

Thanks for the clarification.

I've been in such a level of mourning over the past decade of our program that I've become ignorant of pretty much everything that is going on in the world of college basketball.

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 01:52:50 pm

Ouch

OK - that would change my perspective a bit, but in a normal year I would expect us to beat a team picked last in almost any conference. A fluke up year for the BIG XII? 
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 02:16:33 pm
It was ugly.  A game I would on paper expect us to win, but we were run out of the gym.  We still don't play defense.  My, how far we have fallen.  It will take us forever to climb back up.  After 40 years of fandom, I considered throwing in the towel seriously for the first time ever.  Man, it really sucks to be a Niner right now, and I experienced the H@# Wiss&#$ years as a fan.

Must be nice not to have random drug testing at work.

Oklahoma State (Top 50 in KenPom preseason) was predicted to win by 16, ended up winning by 18 but that does not tell the story of the game.

Our defense did not improve, and may have gotten worse. We are so bad that we aren't even in a position to send them to the line (we out-shot them from the FT line 32 to 18).

We also were completely lost on offense aside from being ice cold from outside the arc. We shot <36% on 2-pointers. We were completely unprepared to get shots off inside the paint. (Perhaps we should compete against D1 talent before running headfirst into P5 buzz-saw).

On the bright side, Charleston got absolutely handled by Wichita State in similar fashion to how Oklahoma State handled us. The Shockers are certainly projected to do better than the Cowboys, but Charleston was the favorite to win CAA. Even good well coached teams can get ran off the court.

The game on Saturday will be a very strong indicator for the season, Charleston has better metrics but we will have home court. A win would hopefully indicate that the OK State was an outlier, and a bad night. But a home loss, especially a non-competitive won would certainly throw a wet blanket on even the most humble expectations of the season.

One of you best posts ever.  Agree.
Mahna Mahna

Star Wars Maniac

• Walk On
Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 02:21:14 pm
how different would this team be if Woods & Dorn didnt transfer imagine them along with Davis talk about scoring options

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 03:00:53 pm
We should never use a game against a D3 team to predict how good we will be.

Best case scenario is what we move down to D2 and compete for a few years until we drop off further.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:05 pm
how different would this team be if Woods & Dorn didnt transfer imagine them along with Davis talk about scoring options

I mean we could play those games all day - Willie Clayton, Mike Thorne, etc.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 03:35:40 pm

Shamar Bowden, Phil Jones, and Shamari Spears Major's first year. 

Michael Beasley.

I like playing this game.  It makes me think we could possible be good at a sport. 
#bus1

goniners2016

• Walk On
Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 03:44:38 pm

Michael Beasley.

I like playing this game.  It makes me think we could possible be good at a sport.

Or what about DeMario Mayfield?  :))
Manage your expectations.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 03:59:55 pm
Stupid DVR.  I set it to tape the replay at Midnight.  Woke up early to watch.  DVR didn't tape it.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 04:01:44 pm
Stupid DVR.  I set it to tape the replay at Midnight.  Woke up early to watch.  DVR didn't tape it.

You didn't miss anything...
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 04:02:39 pm

Wish mine had done that.   ^-^

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 04:03:42 pm

You didn't miss anything...

I prefer to think that his DVR made a conscious decision to shield him from it. Like "Nah, he doesn't want to see this..." *delete*

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #39 on: November 14, 2017, 06:12:43 pm
clt says our uniforms looked better, so we have that going for us.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #40 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:44 pm
Salt in the wound: Davidson looks reeeeeeeeal good
#bus1

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:53 pm
Salt in the wound: Davidson looks reeeeeeeeal good

We are no match against Fundamental basketball. I dread another embarring loss. We'll need to shoot lights out to have any shot.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 10:52:06 pm

Ouch

Not sure how the last place team in Big XII could be top 50. Looking over RPI for 2016-17 and bottom feeders Texas (11-22) finished #156 and Oklahoma (11-20) #162.

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:42 pm

Michael Beasley.

Or what about DeMario Mayfield?  :))

Izundu, having a capable big man would change things.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #44 on: November 15, 2017, 05:38:02 am
OSU looks like a serious defensive team they held Pepperdine to 47 points and Charlotte to 65. Pepperdine scores 107 in their game last night against Cal Lutheran. I don’t think OSU finishes at the bottom of the Big XII. Iowa State is already 0-2. The Big XII is stacked this season.

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #45 on: November 15, 2017, 06:11:20 am
When you look at OSU on paper it is tough to evaluate them after losing so much last year and with Jeffries out indefinitely.  They were probably correct in picking them last, but now that games are being played it is pretty clear that they are a decent team.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 08:40:34 am
Or Pepperdine and Charlotte are absolute garbage.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 08:54:54 am
When you look at OSU on paper it is tough to evaluate them after losing so much last year and with Jeffries out indefinitely.  They were probably correct in picking them last, but now that games are being played it is pretty clear that they are a decent team.

I mean - even at last in the Big12, I'm pretty sure they were projected to finish decently in the overall scheme of things.  SI had them 71st and CBS had them 94th.  My problem isn't that I think OSU is garbage (they're not), but that we didn't even look competent for 2/3 of the game.

ninereast

• Walk On
Reply #48 on: November 15, 2017, 09:29:53 am

I mean - even at last in the Big12, I'm pretty sure they were projected to finish decently in the overall scheme of things.  SI had them 71st and CBS had them 94th.  My problem isn't that I think OSU is garbage (they're not), but that we didn't even look competent for 2/3 of the game.

I am not panicking........yet
Our guards can catch fire at any time and I think this team will come together.

lucky57

• Senior
Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 12:04:41 pm
Few comments...Tired of the sporadic positive hype i've heard about Ajukwe...He's decent against bad teams and zero against decent ones...There's a reason he got splinters at Clemson and just because he looks good on the layup line means nothing.

If,by conf. time Hudson Price is starting for us i'm throwing in the towel...he should be a good 9th or 10th man.

Haslem looks terrible to me....Zero off. (which I kind of expected) but lousy hands and bad feet.

I'll give the Serbs a few more games to acclimate

I think Thomas has some potential,particularly defensively in the short term but he's a project.If we look crappy vs. the other DECENT out-of-conf. teams that we play than I will officially pack it in.

Is there any hope that Judy will either resign or be shown the door ?...Please,someone say yes!

* Recent Posts

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos