Recent

Author Topic: Observer: Charlotte 49ers recruit thrills fans in Oak Hill win  (Read 3679 times)

Offline LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
Observer: Charlotte 49ers recruit thrills fans in Oak Hill win
« on: January 25, 2006, 09:08:26 am »
Story link: Observer: Charlotte 49ers recruit thrills fans in Oak Hill win

Michael Beasley had never played a high school basketball game in Charlotte until Tuesday -- and a large, loud group of Charlotte 49ers fans made Beasley feel right at home at Providence Day.

Beasley, one of the best junior players, in America, is verbally committed to play for the 49ers. Charlotte fans came out, in droves, to see what they're getting.

Beasley's Oak Hill (Va.) team smashed the Chargers 116-69 and Beasley, a left-handed 6-foot-9 forward, put on a show. He scored 36 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, blocked 10 shots and had eight assists -- nearly a quadruple-double.
 :thumbsup:

That is a great article!!!  Mike Beasley preview, big Niner turnout, MB almost puts up quadruple-double and the Charlotte Observer covers it all and Langston nailed it with his observations.
"The way we beat people at Wake Forest - we didn't have the most talented players, but we had a better team," said Smith. "We beat Florida State, Miami and North Carolina by having the better team.

"That's what coach Lambert is going to bring to Charlotte."

Offline NinerAdvocate

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:19:28 am »
The scary thing is that he actually didnt play very well in the first half, especially after he rolled the ankle. He did most of that damage in the 2nd half.
Apple CoFounder Steve Wozniak: "America's OS is broken!"

Offline Over40NINER

• Athletic Director
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 09:36:41 am »
Another Great Article.

It looks like I'll have to start spending my beer money on the Observer again.
This post was sponsored by Over40NINER......... the NNN 2009 POY.

Offline VA49er

• Head Coach
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 09:42:12 am »
Quote from: Over40NINER;150673
Another Great Article.

Once is an occasion, twice is an event, three times is a trend.  Hold out Over40!!!

Offline survivor45

• Assistant Coach
Great Job, Observer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 09:54:46 am »
Well done!  Keep up the good work :clap:

Offline Max Power

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 09:57:49 am »
Quote from: NinerAdvocate;150672
The scary thing is that he actually didnt play very well in the first half, especially after he rolled the ankle. He did most of that damage in the 2nd half.

Yep... and they took him out with over 4 minutes left to play.

Offline Jason4Life32

• Junior
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 10:00:18 am »
I see Beasley as A10 Player of the year and Rookie of the year his first year!!!!!!!!!

Offline gotLutz

• Assistant Coach
    • http://www.charlotte49erfootball.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 10:21:12 am »
Yup, give credit where it's due.

Nice job Observer.

"We did a market survey of how people know us, and we got everything. There was UNCC, UNC, NC Charlotte (and) just plain North Carolina. We were all over the board, and it was like, nobody knows who the heck we are....We hate the UNC on it." - Charlotte AD Judy Rose

Offline 49erWhit

• Sophomore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 05:38:57 pm »
Did the 49er faithful give Beasley any chants?   Any reaction from Beasley to the 49er support.

Offline NINERcowbellplayer

• Sophomore
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 07:17:15 pm »
Quote from: 49erWhit;150731
Did the 49er faithful give Beasley any chants?   Any reaction from Beasley to the 49er support.

there were numerous chants back and forth from us to the high school crowd...but the first chant we had was "mich-eal, beas-ley".....then the high school started a "your in college", then a "why are you here chant"....followed by another one of our "mich-eal beas-ley"

but by the end of the game, the whole crowd, which means the high school students were chanting beasley's name, then they had a "sign our tshirts" chant, and a "hes our favorite"

mike a few times acted like any guy who plays for oak hill does, like he's too cool for basketball, but a few times he laughed and waved, considering we had the first 4-5 rows with all niner people behind their bench, we got his attention and nolan's too....either way it was a whole lot fun just being there

Offline Niner89

• Senior Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 09:15:36 pm »
Quote from: Over40NINER;150673
Another Great Article.

As always I respect your judgement Over40Niner. But, it would take more than a few times for me to drop my dime. Let's put it this way, I've been tricked a few times over the years. All I could say is "Keep on trying I may change my mind".

Great job Niner fans for showing Mike how it feels to be a Niner.
I told him to call 911 . . . because the house is . . . on FIRE.

Offline LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 08:59:58 am »
Quote from: 49erWhit;150731

He basically sat among us watching the women's game before his game.  People were talking to him, shaking his hand, welcoming him to Charlotte.  As his team took the court for warmups, we broke into a MICHAEL-BEASLEY chant.  We gave him a standing ovation as he was introduced.  Chants of his name throughout the game.  Our students were very supportive of all the Oak Hill players.  We had an entire section of Niner fans behind their bench.

Beasley went off in the second half and as other have said, the Providence Day students joined in with "Niner Nation", "Michael-Beasley", "He's our favorite", "Sign our t-shirt".  As Oak Hill was leaving the court, Beasley tunred to the crowd and gave the thumbs up, clap-clap, etc.  It was a Beasley lovefest and he enjoyed every minute of it.  

Kind of overkill but, HELL, #3 player in 2007 will be a Niner (or already is, according to him) and played his first game in the city of Charlotte.  It was great to see the Niner faithful turn out in large numbers!!!
"The way we beat people at Wake Forest - we didn't have the most talented players, but we had a better team," said Smith. "We beat Florida State, Miami and North Carolina by having the better team.

Offline lucky57

• Senior
Oak Hill Feb. 6th
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 09:43:48 am »
Anyone heard anything further on the feb. 6th game,other than its not at Halton?

Offline LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 12:23:09 pm »
Charlotte Observer:

Michael Beasley had never played a high school basketball game in Charlotte until Tuesday -- and a large, loud group of Charlotte 49ers fans made Beasley feel right at home at Providence Day.

Beasley, one of the best junior players, in America, is verbally committed to play for the 49ers. Charlotte fans came out, in droves, to see what they're getting.

Beasley's Oak Hill (Va.) team smashed the Chargers 116-69 and Beasley, a left-handed 6-foot-9 forward, put on a show. He scored 36 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, blocked 10 shots and had eight assists -- nearly a quadruple-double.

max

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 01:46:48 pm »
(sigh).......ah, what could have been......

Offline NLP49

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 01:49:49 pm »
What still can be!
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

Offline NormanNiner

• Junior
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 01:50:41 pm »
The lesson here boys and girls, never count your chickens before they hatch.

Offline ninermac

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • http://www.ninernation.net
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 02:17:23 pm »
This is not over guys.  We are not at the "what could have been stage" and that was not the point of Lefty bringing this thread back up.  Beasley stuck with Charlotte for quite some time and to this day he has not de-committed.

For once, let's try to make this site have a positive impact on something...

Offline LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 02:27:20 pm »
Come on Norman...get in the game.  :doh:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 03:46:41 pm by LeftyNiner »

Offline NormanNiner

• Junior
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 04:17:57 pm »
Quote from: LeftyNiner;166756
Come on Norman...get in the game.  :doh:

OK, I'll play along.

Dear Mike,

We really would love to have you play for the Niners like you said you would many moons ago.  I realize that times change and situations change, so I would respect whatever decision you make.  However, don't let posts on this messageboard dictate your decision in any way.  We represent a few handfuls of hardcore fans and that's pretty much it.  It's obvious that the Charlotte program needs a player like yourself, and that, combined with the opportunity to work with one of the best coaches in this country in Bobby Lutz, should be enough incentive for you to come here.  We are on a big enough stage to more than prepare you for the next level.  It's a simple decision for us to make for you, but not so simple for you.  Do what you think is right for yourself.  

You know where we stand.  It's your move.

Offline 49erWhit

• Sophomore
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 07:46:17 pm »
Mike-  

You will own this city and the A-10.   After your one or two years here at Charlotte, we will make sure you always have a crowd of Niner fans come watch you play in the NBA, just ask Eddie Basden.

See you in 2007 in Niner Green.

Offline Over40NINER

• Athletic Director
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 10:46:54 pm »
Quote from: 49erWhit;166844
Mike-  

You will own this city and the A-10.   After your one or two years here at Charlotte, we will make sure you always have a crowd of Niner fans come watch you play in the NBA, just ask Eddie Basden.

That's a great advantage of any great college player playing for Charlotte.

Regardless of which NBA team he signs with, he'll be back in town when his NBA team comes to town and his college fans can cheer him on.
This post was sponsored by Over40NINER......... the NNN 2009 POY.

Offline HP49er

• Chancellor
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 11:33:45 pm »
And we will show up in force, Mike!
WDKWWDK

44 Guests, 24 Users