Recent

Author Topic: Bobcats name change?  (Read 31440 times)

Offline Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Re: Bobcats name change?
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2010, 05:28:59 pm »
Aren't bobcats indigenous to the state of NC (in the mountains)?

Also I don't think going to route of the Panthers and being named Carolina is a good idea.  Football works regionally due to it having less games, can draw its fan base for games from a larger region.

In addition, it takes away from the notoriety that a sports franchise can give a city.  There are plenty of people that have no idea the Panthers play in Charlotte, they may be dumb, but the average fan as well all know, is dumb.

Ditto.  If it's not going to be the Hornets just leave it alone.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Offline AbidCharlotte49er

• Walk On
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2010, 05:55:48 pm »
I Like Normm's "New Orleans Heineken Looters" & Moss's "Utah Wife Swappers" :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:57:32 pm by ashaik@uncc.edu »

Offline JaMiNNiNeR

• Sophomore
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2010, 12:50:37 pm »
Good deal, Seattle gets the Sonics name back and Charlotte gets the Hornets name back!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/540553-hornets-to-seattle-thoughts-from-a-sonics-fan

Kansas City come up with your own original name the Hornets name belongs in Charlotte.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/blog/2010/12/kansas-city-arises-in-talk-of-new.html

Offline Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2010, 01:56:42 pm »
Good deal, Seattle gets the Sonics name back and Charlotte gets the Hornets name back!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/540553-hornets-to-seattle-thoughts-from-a-sonics-fan

Kansas City come up with your own original name the Hornets name belongs in Charlotte.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/blog/2010/12/kansas-city-arises-in-talk-of-new.html

Hornets to Seattle become the Sonics, Charlotte becomes the Hornets again, a win-win for 2 rabid fan bases that got jerked.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Offline Nugget

• Senior Captain
  • Never missed a football home game
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2010, 01:57:43 pm »
Hornets to Seattle become the Sonics, Charlotte becomes the Hornets again, a win-win for 2 rabid fan bases that got jerked.
Charlotte...rabid fan base?  What?

Offline Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2010, 02:00:32 pm »

Charlotte Hornets fans were pretty rowdy in the Hive before Shinn screwed everyone.

Offline Chisox17

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
    • http://www.ninerreport.com
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2010, 02:06:19 pm »

Charlotte led the league in attendance for like 8 straight years when the Hornets were here.
2010 NNN POSTER OF THE YEAR

Offline Tintin

• Senior
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2010, 02:09:06 pm »
Some of my best times at Charlotte were going to Hornets games.  My roommates were Showpro's who snuck me down to the floor.
Zo, and LJ, and DC, and Gattison and Tony Bennett and my landlord Angie Day, the best Honeybee of all time.
The Hive's alive
Good times
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

Offline Nugget

• Senior Captain
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2010, 02:10:46 pm »
Sure, but most of the current Hornets were still in diapers then.  Charlotte could not care less now.

Offline Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2010, 02:21:08 pm »
Sure, but most of the current Hornets were still in diapers then.  Charlotte could not care less now.

Winning cures all, but bringing back the name that most people in the region identified with would help some too.

Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Offline Nugget

• Senior Captain
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2010, 02:48:33 pm »
It might help, but I think that the shine is off the NBA.  Between the outrageously high ticket prices, the diva attitudes of the players, and the residents voting down the arena but the county building it anyway it will be hard to get the fans to care because you change the name.  Truthfully most people did not really care about the basketball when the Hornets were packing the house.  It was the place in town to be seen so people went.  Once it no longer boosted your status to say that you were there the attendence started dropping.  Now nobody is impressed that you go to a Bobcats game.  I think it would be nice to change back to the Hornets, but I do not expect any impact.  If they started winning big the place would fill up though--Charlotte is that kind of town.

If the NBA dropped the Hornets name I wouldn't mind seeing UNC Charlotte pick it up and change to the University of Charlotte Hornets at the same time.  Do not use the NBA Hornets colors or mascot, but create our own identity.  I can see the C-Pick going to a C-Stinger.

Offline JaMiNNiNeR

• Sophomore
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2010, 02:58:02 pm »
Nobody gets excited about a losing team but tradition builds more loyalty than not. The Hornets name has more nostalgia, tradition  and success than the Bob(Johnson)cats name does. The Cleveland Brown certainly have more passionate fans than the Houston Texans. Both teams were expansion teams and have been bad since inception but the Browns fans can hang on to the past much easier than the Texans' fans.

Offline kevinharbin

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • !,000
    • http://claimid.com/kevinharbin
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2010, 03:09:53 pm »
Nobody gets excited about a losing team but tradition builds more loyalty than not. The Hornets name has more nostalgia, tradition  and success than the Bob(Johnson)cats name does. The Cleveland Brown certainly have more passionate fans than the Houston Texans. Both teams were expansion teams and have been bad since inception but the Browns fans can hang on to the past much easier than the Texans' fans.

I hate the Bobcats. But if they were called the Hornets I would probably care again, maybe even pay for a ticket or two.
Kevin Harbin
+110 cool points from Gill2003
"lol. They can see your dissent in their caulderon. "~NLP
"k

Offline ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior
  • braains
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2010, 03:17:03 pm »
It might help, but I think that the shine is off the NBA.  Between the outrageously high ticket prices, the diva attitudes of the players, and the residents voting down the arena but the county building it anyway it will be hard to get the fans to care because you change the name.  Truthfully most people did not really care about the basketball when the Hornets were packing the house.  It was the place in town to be seen so people went.  Once it no longer boosted your status to say that you were there the attendence started dropping.  Now nobody is impressed that you go to a Bobcats game.  I think it would be nice to change back to the Hornets, but I do not expect any impact.  If they started winning big the place would fill up though--Charlotte is that kind of town.

If the NBA dropped the Hornets name I wouldn't mind seeing UNC Charlotte pick it up and change to the University of Charlotte Hornets at the same time.  Do not use the NBA Hornets colors or mascot, but create our own identity.  I can see the C-Pick going to a C-Stinger.

Ballsy.

I totally agree, but I kept that close to the vest... figured I'd get demolished on here for such ideas!

We'd have to keep the 40-9ers chant though... it is, after all, a bright year in our institution's history.
DUCK FAVIDSON

Offline charlotteguy88

• Junior
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2010, 04:59:21 pm »
People already think the Charlotte 49ers are a pro team...we change our name to Charotte Hornets...that certainly will confuse the krap outta people...bad plan

Offline Hooner49

• Senior Captain
    • University Name Change Campaign
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2012, 12:20:26 pm »
(08:50:08) The_White_Samurai: 90% of farts that come from a diet such as Hooner's result in bleeding.

(10:25:26) NLP49: Dude, you're not Hooner. Only Hooner is.
(10:25:32) NLP49: And even he doesn't rub it in our faces.

Offline NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
  • Normbulance Owner
    • Normbulance
« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2012, 12:42:46 pm »
6/9/12: Wooooookkk Dixies fuckin rocks with cpipi and hooner teprestin niner nsation suck it aspp@!!@!@

(10:12:15) stonecoldken: My Thanksgivin​g wish, is that every single guy on this board find a Thanksgivin​g whore to wear out.

Offline bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior
« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:08 pm »
If you were a true Hornets fan you wouldn't sign this sh1t, unless you like taking it from behind. Exactly what the fans had to do when Shinn moved the team. The name the Hornets should only leave a bad taste in your mouth.

If the team were winning the name wouldn't matter but now that they are 4-28 people want to gripe. Is changing the name going instantly make us a contender? No. Is the name change going to bring back LJ, ZO, Mugsy, or Dell? No. People need to get over it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:05:17 pm by bleedsgreenandgold »

Offline HXC Niner

• Sophomore
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2012, 01:18:42 pm »
It's quite simple for me.  I grew up supporting the Hornets, not the Bobcats.  I didn't want the Hornets to leave.  I didn't want the Bobcats here.  I stopped watching the NBA when the Hornets left.  The Hornets signify a time when Charlotte had good basketball.  The Bobcats have been garbage since their inception. Bring back a winning mentality to Charlotte.  It's branding, perception.

• Senior
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2012, 01:32:57 pm »
  It's branding, perception.

Using that logic, let's switch from the 49ers to the Tarheels. It's about branding perception right?

Changing the name doesn't put a winning team on the court. At first it may bring more fans but nothing will change the situation except winning.

Offline 49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:19 pm »
If you were a true Hornets fan you wouldn't sign this sh1t, unless you like taking it from behind. Exactly what the fans had to do when Shinn moved the team. The name the Hornets should only leave a bad taste in your mouth.

If the team were winning the name wouldn't matter but now that they are 4-28 people want to gripe. Is changing the name going instantly make us a contender? No. Is the name change going to bring back LJ, ZO, Mugsy, or Dell? No. People need to get over it.
Retarded response. People want the name back because it's OUR name. Charlotte is the Hornets Nest. Letting Shinn ruin the city's nickname for you is taking it in that ass.

People have wanted it since we got another franchise. This isn't about losing, the Bobcats have always sucked. And the "Bobcats" has always been a f***ing stupid name. A team named after my city is a hell of a lot better than one named after the first owner. Also, purple & teal is so much better than purple & orange.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:43:57 pm by 49or bust »

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

• Senior
« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:20 pm »

Retarded response. People want the name back because it's OUR name. Charlotte is the Hornets Nest. Letting Shinn ruin the city's nickname for you is taking it in that ass.

People have wanted it since we got another franchise. This isn't about losing, the Bobcats have always sucked. And the "Bobcats" has always been a f***ing stupid name. A team named after my city is a hell of a lot better than one named after the first owner. Also, purple & teal is so much better than purple & orange.

Hey ass clown, the only ones that want the makeover are the ones who don't support the team now. I dare you to find me 25 names of current Bobcats season ticket holders on that lame ass petition.

I went to every home game and playoff game for 7 years straight and I've been a Bobcats season ticket holder the past 2. The name Hornets was ruined for me the day we let that scumbag have his way.

I wouldn't be opposed to a name change, just not the Hornets. It's like calling your 4th grade girlfriend that dumped you and telling her you want her back because your current one sucks. Once the novelty wears off, you are back to square one with another shitty girlfriend just a different name.

Offline 49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2012, 02:36:13 pm »

Hey ass clown, the only ones that want the makeover are the ones who don't support the team now. I dare you to find me 25 names of current Bobcats season ticket holders on that lame ass petition.

I went to every home game and playoff game for 7 years straight and I've been a Bobcats season ticket holder the past 2. The name Hornets was ruined for me the day we let that scumbag have his way.

I wouldn't be opposed to a name change, just not the Hornets. It's like calling your 4th grade girlfriend that dumped you and telling her you want her back because your current one sucks. Once the novelty wears off, you are back to square one with another shitty girlfriend just a different name.

Sure. And more people would support the team if we had our city's nickname back. If you're going to have a loser, better to have one that you have a closer connection to. Just sayin, I'd wager I could at least find 25 season ticket holders who would support this idea. People aren't always proactive about what they support.

It's more like disowning your mom because someone raped her and got away with it.

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

Offline Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:07 pm »

It really is backwards logic.  Your analogy would work if we wanted the owner back.  But we don't.  Again back to the girlfriend analogy, it's ok if you like the tits and ass(the logo) but not the person inside(the owner).

Let's just change the name every season since the name doesn't matter anyway.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Offline Ben H

• Junior
« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »
Charlotte Hornets actually means something.  Charlotte is the Hornets nest.  Bobcats is a f***ing retarded name with no significance.

Change the name, rebrand, rebuild, remarket.

38 Guests, 1 User