Recent

Author Topic: Conference Realignment  (Read 130312 times)

Offline NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
  • Normbulance Owner
    • Normbulance
Re: Conference Realignment
« Reply #1325 on: March 06, 2012, 12:33:59 pm »
ECU would, and should, be pissed off for football in that pod. They'd have three FCS teams to play and a UAB team that averaged about 9 fans per game last year.

Yup - no way ECU comes out this without being pissed off. 

6/9/12: Wooooookkk Dixies fuckin rocks with cpipi and hooner teprestin niner nsation suck it aspp@!!@!@

(10:12:15) stonecoldken: My Thanksgivin​g wish, is that every single guy on this board find a Thanksgivin​g whore to wear out.

Offline jfickett

• Senior
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #1326 on: March 06, 2012, 12:48:38 pm »
ECU would, and should, be pissed off for football in that pod. They'd have three FCS teams to play and a UAB team that averaged about 9 fans per game last year.

Yup - no way ECU comes out this without being pissed off.

Agree.  If the ECU President and/or AD is really pushing for us and App to get into this league for football and then they get that pod sprung on them for football....

torches and pitchforks in Greenville.
N1NER 2/16/14:  Niner Basketball - Where you would rather go furniture shopping with the wife, instead of getting excited about the game.

Offline ninerID

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
« Reply #1327 on: March 06, 2012, 12:57:37 pm »
I want nothing to do with App outside of what benefit it gets us over them.

I want to go FBS and vote no on every invite attempt in the conference we are in ever tries.

I have no desire to be friendly.  What they do on their mountain is cute, but they can go screw themselves for all i care.
"our idiot fans" - Bobby Lutz 2/10/08

Offline Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
« Reply #1328 on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:03 pm »

I want to go FBS and vote no on every invite attempt in the conference we are in ever tries.

I have no desire to be friendly.  What they do on their mountain is cute, but they can go screw themselves for all i care.

Hear!  Hear!

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Offline 919R

• Head Coach
« Reply #1329 on: March 06, 2012, 03:06:42 pm »

I have no desire to be friendly. 

Agreed! :p

Offline Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
« Reply #1330 on: March 06, 2012, 03:08:22 pm »
In terms of FCS schools in ECU's pod, I'm sure they won't be ecstatic about it.  However, from the CUSA board, many ECU fans like the idea of adding ODU and Ga St.  Not much difference in terms of FCS teams.  Quite honestly there just aren't many FBS teams to choose from.  Anything less than the Big East is going to feel like a let down for ECU.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Offline NovaNiner

• Senior
« Reply #1331 on: March 06, 2012, 08:29:45 pm »
i like that Artifice guy over there.  sounds like he's good something between the ears unlike most college sports fans.

That he is.

Offline NovaNiner

• Senior
« Reply #1332 on: March 06, 2012, 08:40:07 pm »
East
UMass
Marshall
Old Dominion
Tulane
So Miss
UAB
ECU
GSU
Charlotte
FIU
Florida Atlantic
Army (FB only)

Is this still the projected list?  Nova posted this list in another thread.  Just curious if it's still looking like this.  I would rather get rid of Army and Hawaii and add all-sport members.  La Tech and Western Kentucky are out there and I'm guessing that they would like to step up to a little better conference.  La Tech would love to get out of the WAC, and Western Kentucky would be a good basketball addition (from a tradition sense).  The Hilltoppers have been down the last three seasons, but were a regular in the NCAA tourney prior to that.  Both of these schools had their best football seasons in recent memory last year.  La. Tech basketball is #188 in the RPI this season and WKU is #223.  I have no idea if any consideration has been given to either.

Decent amount of speculation here.  I feel very good about our slot, but others like UMass, Army, and Ga St are less likely especially in the short term.  Hawaii is already done though, unless they are booted.

La Tech and WKU don't provide much in terms of market.  The Alliance is (thankfully) looking a lot at MARKETS and potential.  We have both.

Offline cltniners

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #1333 on: March 06, 2012, 08:53:29 pm »
clt looks forward to leaving the a10

clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

Offline NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
  • Normbulance Owner
    • Normbulance
« Reply #1334 on: March 06, 2012, 10:33:34 pm »
clt looks forward to leaving the a10

as do i
6/9/12: Wooooookkk Dixies fuckin rocks with cpipi and hooner teprestin niner nsation suck it aspp@!!@!@

(10:12:15) stonecoldken: My Thanksgivin​g wish, is that every single guy on this board find a Thanksgivin​g whore to wear out.

Offline HXC Niner

• Sophomore
« Reply #1335 on: March 10, 2012, 06:20:43 pm »
More speculation from Katz:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/50804/3-point-shot-weber-could-work-at-siu

1.   The Atlantic 10 needs to go on the offensive because it could potentially get poached by the MWC-CUSA merger. Charlotte is ripe for the picking since the 49ers are going to Division I football. The A-10 actually would be better if it was slimmed down by a few teams from 14. But losing Temple for 2013-14 isn’t the answer. The A-10 could definitely use a marquee program in the footprint (like VCU or Old Dominion).

Offline JaMiNNiNeR

• Sophomore
« Reply #1336 on: March 10, 2012, 08:14:17 pm »
Temple out of the A10 is like the SEC losing Kentucky in basketball.  With A10 basketball now weaker what is the likelihood that other A10 teams may bolt? I don't understand why St. Louis wouldn't want to play in the Missouri Valley Conference if possible? For that matter why wouldn't Xavier or Dayton want to play in the MVC? The MVC is a much more balanced basketball conference than the A10 and most of those their schools care about basketball. Until the A10 kicks out the schools that don't have the facilities and resources to compete it will just be a weird hodgepodge of schools with no conference identity. I watch the MVC and CAA tournaments on TV this week and their fans are really into the games compared to the A10 tournament where the crowd seems asleep or absent.

Offline X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
« Reply #1337 on: March 10, 2012, 08:25:04 pm »
Temple out of the A10 is like the SEC losing Kentucky in basketball.  With A10 basketball now weaker what is the likelihood that other A10 teams may bolt? I don't understand why St. Louis wouldn't want to play in the Missouri Valley Conference if possible? For that matter why wouldn't Xavier or Dayton want to play in the MVC? The MVC is a much more balanced basketball conference than the A10 and most of those their schools care about basketball. Until the A10 kicks out the schools that don't have the facilities and resources to compete it will just be a weird hodgepodge of schools with no conference identity. I watch the MVC and CAA tournaments on TV this week and their fans are really into the games compared to the A10 tournament where the crowd seems asleep or absent.

Xavier and Dayton are probably planning on holding out/staying put in hopes that the Big East Football schools still split off in a few years.  While the MVC would pretty much be a lateral move from the A10 even with Temple departing, I'm sure they are hopeful that they can get in a conference with Marquette, Georgetown, and the other Big East leftovers when the split occurs.
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

Offline 49RFootballNow

• Athletic Director
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
« Reply #1338 on: March 10, 2012, 08:26:23 pm »
Right now, the A10 looks like it will be the Dayton/Xavier Show. They stay put for now.

Offline NLP49

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
« Reply #1339 on: March 10, 2012, 11:15:37 pm »
Who's paying Katz to pimp us? Not complaining but he's been a metronome talking up us to CUSA/Alliance.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

Offline 49RFootballNow

• Athletic Director
  • Kwisatz Haderach
« Reply #1340 on: March 11, 2012, 01:53:49 am »
(00:26:43) 2k: RT @Mr_NoLimit​s: S/o to my niner teammates I think we might be playing in CUSA we find out July 1st #TeamFBS #TeamD-1 #TeamFam #NinerNatio​n

Rick Legrant ‏ @Mr_NoLimits
S/o to my niner teammates I think we might be playing in CUSA we find out July 1st #TeamFBS #TeamD-1 #TeamFam #NinerNation

Offline HXC Niner

• Sophomore
« Reply #1341 on: March 11, 2012, 01:15:58 pm »
Bleacher Report's take on our situation:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1073448-sun-belt-conference-athetics-moving-forward-and-expanding-with-karl-benson

Charlotte is an intriguing candidate as they have a very successful basketball and baseball program.  They will begin playing football in 2013, a sport they haven't supported since 1948.  Charlotte also has a past history with the Sun Belt (members from 1976-1991) and C-USA (1995-2005).

Expect to hear this school get considered by the Sun Belt, the new merged conference, and possibly even the Big East. Being located in the 17th largest city in the country is also a bit of a perk.

Offline Honest Niner

• Junior
« Reply #1342 on: March 11, 2012, 02:08:07 pm »
Dear lord not the Sun-Belt...that would be the end of this program.  :'(

Offline HP23

• Walk On
« Reply #1343 on: March 11, 2012, 03:42:34 pm »
Dear lord not the Sun-Belt...that would be the end of this program.  :'(

All sports, yeah that would not be ideal.

I have no idea how likely this is, but football only Sunbelt membership would probably be the second best scenario (behind an all sports Alliance invite). Sunbelt football is getting better, and it would give a chance to grow as a FBS program. Alliance or Big East membership could come down the road.

Even if the Sunbelt loses multiple teams, they would probably bring in some of the better rising FCS programs. So I think from just a football perspective, it would be better then anything FCS. I just don't know how likely a football only invite is, because they have to know (just like SoCon and Big South) that Charlotte would be looking to upgrade once they have success.

Offline NovaNiner

• Senior
« Reply #1344 on: March 12, 2012, 04:41:51 pm »
Best case scenario is a Big East invite.  But yeah...

FYI - UCF went from the MAC (football only) to CUSA to the Big East.

Offline 49RFootballNow

• Athletic Director
  • Kwisatz Haderach
« Reply #1345 on: March 12, 2012, 05:09:17 pm »
Best case scenario is a Big East invite.  But yeah...

FYI - UCF went from the MAC (football only) to CUSA to the Big East.

MAC and A-Sun to CUSA to Big East in 10 years.

But don't forget, at 54,000 students they're the 4th largest "traditional" university in the nation.

Offline Run49er

• Chancellor
« Reply #1346 on: March 12, 2012, 06:16:24 pm »
From Brett McMurphy:

CBSSports.com: WAC schools, other interested in new C-USA/MWC league

Offline Run49er

• Chancellor
« Reply #1347 on: March 12, 2012, 06:19:44 pm »
I don't understand why St. Louis wouldn't want to play in the Missouri Valley Conference if possible?
Go over to the Saint Louis board and suggest a return to the Valley.  Don't be surprised if you get your head bitten off by a 9 to 1 margin!  ;)

Offline NovaNiner

• Senior
« Reply #1348 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:11 am »
So now that USF is playing basketball in the NCAAs, can we forever stop talking about making a move for any sort of basketball reason.  We need to position ourselves for the future.  And until our Big East invite comes in 2020, that's The Alliance.  And if that doesn't work out, it's the A10/Sun Belt (for football).  It's not the CAA. 

Offline 49RFootballNow

• Athletic Director
  • Kwisatz Haderach
« Reply #1349 on: March 13, 2012, 02:52:44 pm »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/17770188/charlotte-texas-san-antonio-leading-candidates-for-sun-belt

The University of Charlotte and Texas-San Antonio have had discussions with the Sun Belt and are “leading candidates” to join the league, sources told CBSSports.com.

One source said both schools have received “informal invitations” to join the Sun Belt, but another source said talks had not progressed that far. Either way, the schools have had discussions with the Sun Belt and could join the league as early as the 2013-14 academic year.

Charlotte, which will start football in 2013, would be leaving the Atlantic 10, where its Olympic sports have competed since 2005. Texas-San Antonio, which just completed its first football season, is joining the WAC on July 1, but would consider a move to the Sun Belt.

Since 2005, Charlotte's Olympic sports have been in the Atlantic 10. The 49ers are starting up a football program in 2013 and will compete as an FCS independent for at least two seasons. The earliest the 49ers could make the move to the FBS level and compete as a Sun Belt football member would be 2015.

Charlotte is a former member of the Sun Belt. The 49ers were in the league from 1976-91 before moving to the Metro Conference (1991-95) and Conference USA (1995-2005) and then the Atlantic 10 in 2005.

If Charlotte opts for the Sun Belt, the 49ers would be the second recent school to leave the Atlantic 10. Last week, Temple announced its Olympic sports were leaving the A-10 to join the Big East in 2013.

Let the shitstorm commense!

44 Guests, 1 User