Author Topic: clt asks what should replace the belk tower?  (Read 30125 times)

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #525 on: April 20, 2016, 10:55:03 am
Looks like any generic business park plaza.  We traded an iconic landmark for something I can see at business campuses all over the nation.  Great job DuBois.

Just wait until the statue of chp is placed in that same area.

NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
Reply #526 on: April 20, 2016, 11:00:04 am
I am not defending his email but what did you expect? You sent an email previously, trashing the move, then send a follow up...trashing the move. And you add in at the end this jab about donating money. Everyone here expected him to say something different?

I feel both emails I sent were accurate and of an even but upset tone.  His response to my first email was what I put in quotes, that he wanted something unique and dynamic.  I simply called him on that.  The design is not unique or dynamic.  I put the line in about donating because with every dumb ass thing he and the school does it makes donating a bit harder.  They should know that.  It isn't like we have a ton of engaged alumni donating back. 

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #527 on: April 20, 2016, 01:13:28 pm
Design:  Relatively unimaginative on paper, but I imagine the elevated open space area will be much more dynamic in reality.  Hopefully that doesn't get value engineered away.  Adding food options in the base of Colvard is a great idea.  I would suggest more programing of the site with other food options like food carts could help active the area and have it be more than a pass though.  What would be amazing is if the open green space was elevated enough to put said food vendors inside it with windows to the outside for food and drink service (not dining it, but takeout windows).  Hopefully they bring in more mature trees than what typically gets brought in.  The space will improve as the trees grow.  Overall I don't find it as business park like as some suggest, but they didn't do themselves any favors by using the assortment of people in the renderings, too many dressed up and older people.

As for the emails, I do think it make it seem like he is more personable than most in is position.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

NinerAdvocate

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #528 on: April 20, 2016, 01:22:11 pm
The way you picture the space would be really cool, 2002. Even if there were just shaded overhangs with power access for food carts.

Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
Reply #529 on: April 20, 2016, 01:32:27 pm
I don't think it is bad.  As I said in the email if they were putting this between some new building I would love it.  What I don't like is this is what we are replacing an iconic structure with.  If they had incorporated the 49er statue or a statue of Bonnie this this might actually be a winner.  Instead its just going to be a nice area, but nothing that is a symbol of the University. 

NinerAdvocate

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #530 on: April 20, 2016, 01:36:32 pm
Would it really be that hard or costly to Incorporate a statue of Bonnie?

Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #531 on: April 20, 2016, 01:38:53 pm
The fact that he responded at all, and especially in the way he did, signals to me that he's not getting an overwhelming amount of criticism for this move. Not a boilerplate PR response that would be distributed in mass. I also didn't infer any deliberate condescension - and actually appreciate the candor.

I don't think the vast majority have, or will, shed tears over the absence of the tower. Phil knew this prior to supporting it's removal - hence the lack of remorse.

If I were a student today, I'd much rather have what's currently being proposed than the brickyard preceding it. I'm optimistic about the change, and would prefer to see other dynamic environments installed around campus.

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #532 on: April 20, 2016, 01:41:23 pm

No - but that wouldn't fit the mold of our other statues. Can't have an actual person represented. We'd have to settle for a casting of what a generic chancellor/university founder may look like...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:43:03 pm by donkeyjaws »

Niner National

• Athletic Director
    • United Floor Coatings
Reply #533 on: April 20, 2016, 02:01:40 pm

No - but that wouldn't fit the mold of our other statues. Can't have an actual person represented. We'd have to settle for a casting of what a generic chancellor/university founder may look like...
Or maybe a casting of a chancellor that was never chancellor here. Maybe we can even have two of the same castings for the never-was chancellor.

NewNiner

• Junior
Reply #534 on: April 20, 2016, 02:03:49 pm

Or maybe a casting of a chancellor that was never chancellor here. Maybe we can even have two of the same castings for the never-was chancellor.

Perhaps U Georgia's chancellor?
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #535 on: April 20, 2016, 02:15:59 pm
The fact that he responded at all, and especially in the way he did, signals to me that he's not getting an overwhelming amount of criticism for this move. Not a boilerplate PR response that would be distributed in mass. I also didn't infer any deliberate condescension - and actually appreciate the candor.

I don't think the vast majority have, or will, shed tears over the absence of the tower. Phil knew this prior to supporting it's removal - hence the lack of remorse.

If I were a student today, I'd much rather have what's currently being proposed than the brickyard preceding it. I'm optimistic about the change, and would prefer to see other dynamic environments installed around campus.

I think some of you are missing NWA's point.  It's not that the plan is that bad.  It's that it came at the expense of the Belk Tower.

If you were never a fan of the tower in the first place, then almost any new design will probably be better.

But if you were a fan of it, it kind of stinks that it's gone.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

sportsman1417

• Sophomore
Reply #536 on: April 20, 2016, 02:25:36 pm

I think some of you are missing NWA's point.  It's not that the plan is that bad.  It's that it came at the expense of the Belk Tower.

If you were never a fan of the tower in the first place, then almost any new design will probably be better.

But if you were a fan of it, it kind of stinks that it's gone.
I think his point is received. The people that cared about it were going to hate damn near anything that was brought up. The people that didn't care...don't really care about this new design one way or another. Once campus really started spreading out, the tower became less relevant. It has much more meaning to the older crowd. The majority of the "happenings" on campus have shifted away from the part of campus.

NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
Reply #537 on: April 20, 2016, 02:41:17 pm
My biggest issue is we really don't have anything symbolic on our campus.  Kennedy is the only thing that is left.  For a school that fights to keep alumni connected and to stand out as a young university I don't see how constantly ignoring our past is wise.  I was never a huge fan of the bell tower, but I liked having something symbolic.  You didn't see that tower and confuse it with anything anywhere else.  I didn't want to see the tower gone, but if it had to go we needed to replace it with something that was symbolic and had meaning to both alumni and current students.  A statue of Bonnie or moving the Miner there seems like a no brainer to me.  I just hate that what we are replacing the tower with is something not symbolic or piece of the connective  tissue of those who have contributed to our U.  Like many things we do - a failed opportunity.  It will be nice though and I guess students will use the space, so that makes Phil happy. 

I am also still agitated about how it all went down.  If you read the emails Phil wanted it gone, created an scenario that allowed him to remove, then states in emails he wants an open space with a water feature and then that is exactly what we get.  What Phil wants, Phil gets.  That more than the design REALLY pisses me off.

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #538 on: April 20, 2016, 03:00:52 pm
nothing says "dynamic" and "not common place to other universities" like an oval grassy hill. 

We're the idiots guys.  We stay in this shitty one sided relationship.  We're the idiots.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos