Author Topic: 2016 Convocation Address  (Read 556 times)

emf

• Senior
on: August 19, 2016, 12:36:17 am
Lots of tidbits in the Chancellor's 2016 convocation address. Some topics:

- Phil's not retiring anytime soon
- mentions medical school task force
- College of Education to be named in November
- Student Union to be named after 2 alum donors on Sept 22
- Capital Campaign goal to be made public on Sept 22
- Capital Campaign runs through 2020
- $400M in new construction over next 5 years (includes $90M Science Building)
- decision on 225 room Marriot to be built on CRI campus to be made by year end

http://chancellor.uncc.edu/sites/chancellor.uncc.edu/files/media/files/2016%20University%20Convocation%20Transcript.pdf

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:57:34 am
An on campus hotel would be nice because it would be a place for pre and post game receptions.

Was anything said about the light rail extension opening? That could be used to attract more non-alums to events.

emf

• Senior
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 01:21:15 am
An on campus hotel would be nice because it would be a place for pre and post game receptions.

Was anything said about the light rail extension opening? That could be used to attract more non-alums to events.
Light rail open for testing April 2017, open to public August 2017.  Train arrives every 15 minutes, 7 minutes at peak hours.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
    • United Floor Coatings
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 08:42:24 am

Yesterday was actually the 1 year mark from when light rail is supposed to go into operation. I doubt they hit the deadline, but they're making good progress, so as long as testing doesn't reveal anything major that needs to be fixed, I think they'll be very close.

aosbor18

• Walk On
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:28:22 am
I will also be working closely with Joan and the Charlotte Medical Education Task Force composed  of  representatives  of  the  UNC  Chapel  Hill  School  of  Medicine,  the  Carolinas

HealthCare System, and the Charlotte Medical Education Expansion Committee to develop recommendations concerning the future scope and organizational design for the education of physicians in the greater Charlotte region

This section bothers me, it's the kind of weak language that precedes a "UNC Chapel Hill medical  school at Charlotte" blue building popping up next door to us. With the University of Charlotte having a token part of that we "should be proud of".

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 01:10:23 pm
I will also be working closely with Joan and the Charlotte Medical Education Task Force composed  of  representatives  of  the  UNC  Chapel  Hill  School  of  Medicine,  the  Carolinas

HealthCare System, and the Charlotte Medical Education Expansion Committee to develop recommendations concerning the future scope and organizational design for the education of physicians in the greater Charlotte region

This section bothers me, it's the kind of weak language that precedes a "UNC Chapel Hill medical  school at Charlotte" blue building popping up next door to us. With the University of Charlotte having a token part of that we "should be proud of".

You think we're going to get more than that under Phil's "Leadership"?

Be happy with what you get, plebian!
DUCK FAVIDSON

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos