Recent

Author Topic: Does Charlotte need a law school?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Nugget

• Senior Captain
  • I have talked with Teller
Does Charlotte need a law school?
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:08:48 am »
This gets mentioned periodically on the board, and the numbers in this article make it look like a bad bet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/03/how-north-carolina-law-school-job-placement-rates.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+%28Charlotte+Business+Journal%29

What percentage of the grads find employment in J.D.-required postions?

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
43.7% - Charlotte School of Law
26.0% - NCCU

Offline NLP49

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
Re: Does Charlotte need a law school?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:11:03 am »
This gets mentioned periodically on the board, and the numbers in this article make it look like a bad bet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/03/how-north-carolina-law-school-job-placement-rates.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+%28Charlotte+Business+Journal%29

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
26.0% - NCCU

Isn't there where Gonzo from the App board went? Ouch.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

Offline Nugget

• Senior Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 10:15:46 am »

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
26.0% - NCCU

Yep.   ;D

Offline Ninercentral

• MemberPF
  • Senior
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:19:32 am »
I would say the answer is yes, Charlotte needs a law school. It doesn't however need the largest school in the state. If they would decrease admissions size, restrict the school to higher quality students, then not only would there be more jobs available per student, but higher quality graduates to take the jobs. It's perpetual. They cannot sustain the model they have now. It's abusive.

Offline bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:47 am »

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
26.0% - NCCU

So who is going to post this over there?

Online Niner National

• Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:22:07 am »

90.8 - Duke
72.5 - UNC-CH
71.8 - Campbell
71.1 - Wake Forest
45.1% Elon
26.0% - NCCU

So who is going to post this over there?
No need to troll him. The job market will do enough of that when he graduates.

Offline NewNiner

• Junior
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:28:19 am »
Short answer, in my mind, is no.

First, I think we'd be better off putting our efforts/money into a med school.

Second, there are too many law school out there, now.  Charlotte has an advantage in being in such a great city, but it would still be lower in the pecking order.

Third,  if the school is determined to have a law school, you're much better off taking over an existing one than trying to create a new one, a la Penn State and Dickinson Law.

One major advantage of having a law school, though, is that you tend to have more politicians over the long haul.  More politicians can mean better treatment at the state level.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

Offline 49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 10:42:21 am »
There is a NEED for doctors in the Charlotte region. We NEED a medical school. There is NO NEED for my lawyers.

Offline KSNiner

• Walk On
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 10:49:23 am »
There is a NEED for doctors in the Charlotte region. We NEED a medical school. There is NO NEED for my lawyers.

I agree. Medical school is the way to go, especially since the US is going to have to generate more doctors within the next 20 years either internally or through work visas.

Online Niner National

• Head Coach
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 10:51:32 am »
We have one. UNC said they may even let us participate eventually.  ::)

Offline NLP49

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 10:53:20 am »
Medical school is the greater need, but it's also very expensive. I don't know how it would be financed with the current revenue model and distribution priorities for the state.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

Offline JediWupAss

• Chancellor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 11:04:13 am »
I would say the answer is yes, Charlotte needs a law school. It doesn't however need the largest school in the state. If they would decrease admissions size, restrict the school to higher quality students, then not only would there be more jobs available per student, but higher quality graduates to take the jobs. It's perpetual. They cannot sustain the model they have now. It's abusive.

While I agree with making sure size doesn't come at the expense of quality, I think being large is their aim to change the funding model. 

Offline Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 11:30:06 am »
There was talk of some sort of partnership between us and the Charlotte School of Law a few years ago.  I guess nothing ever came from that?

MARCH 18, 2005 WAS THE LAST TIME THE CHARLOTTE 49ERS PLAYED IN AN NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME

Offline jfickett

• Senior
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 11:35:59 am »
There was talk of some sort of partnership between us and the Charlotte School of Law a few years ago.  I guess nothing ever came from that?

JD/MBA partnership in place now iirc
N1NER 2/16/14:  Niner Basketball - Where you would rather go furniture shopping with the wife, instead of getting excited about the game.

Offline emf

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 12:39:18 pm »

JD/MBA partnership in place now iirc
http://belkcollege.uncc.edu/graduate-programs/dual-degree-law-programs

Offline cltniners

• Head Coach
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 12:53:45 pm »
clt says yes.
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

Offline Nugget

• Senior Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 02:01:43 pm »
clt says yes.
Mrs Dubois is an attorney, just in case you get a ZUI on the way home from football.

Offline 4ever niner

• Senior Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 02:51:57 pm »
clt says yes.
Mrs Dubois is an attorney, just in case you get a ZUI on the way home from football.
Zeppin' under the influence. I like that turn of phrase.

Offline cltniners

• Head Coach
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 03:09:58 pm »
clt says yes.

clt is above the law.
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

Offline JediWupAss

• Chancellor
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 03:10:51 pm »
clt says yes.

clt is above the law.

Does your Zepplin talk like Knight Rider?

Offline 49r9r

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 06:16:02 pm »
We have one. UNC-chapel hill said they may even let us participate eventually.  ::)

fixed

Offline stonecoldken

• Chancellor
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 04:35:59 pm »
Charlotte School of Law is not known for quality, so if they go under, we can take them over, but we'd have to clean house as obviously their Professors must suck if no one from CSOL gets a job.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Hope Solo, Jewel, SE Cupp, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Online Niner National

• Head Coach
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 04:39:18 pm »
Charlotte School of Law is not known for quality, so if they go under, we can take them over, but we'd have to clean house as obviously their Professors must suck if no one from CSOL gets a job.
From what I've heard, they actually have a great % of students that pass the bar--better than other, more prestigious, law schools.

The problem is perception matters in hiring.

My former roommate in college was class president. He told me we looked into buying CSOL in the past, but it didn't work out. I forget the reasons why though. I know at the time, CSOL was in bad financial trouble at the time though.

Offline NewNiner

• Junior
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 06:38:45 pm »
From what I've heard, they actually have a great % of students that pass the bar--better than other, more prestigious, law schools.

The problem is perception matters in hiring.

My former roommate in college was class president. He told me we looked into buying CSOL in the past, but it didn't work out. I forget the reasons why though. I know at the time, CSOL was in bad financial trouble at the time though.

First, bar passage rate is not a good measure of law school quality. Many "lower quality" schools have good passage numbers because they essentially spend three years only teaching you how to pass the bar. Many "high quality" schools teach you how to be a good lawyer/think like a lawyer and leave you to your own devices/bar review courses for the exam.

Second, there would be absolutely no reason to clean house. Just because a school's reputation may not be great doesn't mean they don't have some good (even great) pieces in place.

A big part of Charlotte SoL's problem is that they are so young. No alumni network to help grads out, low citation levels in journals, less money built up, etc. Convincing "high quality" students to give them a shot is tough. It's difficult to get going. This is where affiliation with a larger institution would be beneficial to Charlotte SoL.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:43:08 pm by NewNiner »
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

65 Guests, 21 Users