Recent

Author Topic: Pierria Henry - 2011 PG  (Read 24521 times)

Offline NinerAdvocate

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Re: Pierria Henry - 2011 PG
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 09:29:14 am »
This just made my morning. With the growth I am already seeing out of young guys and our depth issues being solved, I am growing very optimistic about the future of this program.

Welcome to Niner Nation Mr Henry!

PS - can anyone help me with how to pronounce his first name? I don't wanna butcher it.
Apple CoFounder Steve Wozniak: "America's OS is broken!"

Heaven Adores You

Offline NinerAdvocate

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 09:35:47 am »
Definitely read that Dailymail article...

The 49ers are coached by Purdue graduate Alan Major, who is in his first season at the school. His staff, though, includes former Virginia Tech assistant Ryan Odom, who Henry knows well.

"Coach Odom offered me when he was at Virginia Tech, and now he's an assistant at Charlotte," Henry said. "He still stayed in contact with me the whole time.

Some of these coaches - and I won't mention names - they'd be at these high conferences and they'd say they heard about me but they'd never talk to me themselves. Then when they drop down to a smaller conference I'm their man. What that told me is that they didn't think I was a top-level talent.

Smart kid. I like him already.
Apple CoFounder Steve Wozniak: "America's OS is broken!"

Heaven Adores You

Offline mightymitchfan

• Junior
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 09:42:55 am »
This just made my morning. With the growth I am already seeing out of young guys and our depth issues being solved, I am growing very optimistic about the future of this program.

PS - can anyone help me with how to pronounce his first name? I don't wanna butcher it.

I'm going to guess Pierre-ia but he may prefer Pie-arrhea.  It's really hard to tell sometimes until they or the coaching staff comes out and says it.

Offline ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 09:44:01 am »

pee-AIR-ee-uh would be my guess.
DUCK FAVIDSON

Offline NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
  • Normbulance Owner
    • Normbulance
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 09:45:29 am »
Great to hear, needed another guy that could play pg coming in as a freshman. As Iron9er said, if we can add a power forward player, that'd be all 5 positions in one recruiting class.

Very true and as it is we will add all 5 with who we have on the bench.  Luka, Mayfield, Williams, Nickerson, Thorne - thats all 5 positions plus Henry and hopefully another big man and we are golden.

Not sure what kind of big men are left out there.  I would be ok with a juco to come in at this point.  Would rather do that than reach on a guy, but the way they are bringing them in I will trust what they are doing!

Easy to see how important those big wins are to landing a kid. 
6/9/12: Wooooookkk Dixies fuckin rocks with cpipi and hooner teprestin niner nsation suck it aspp@!!@!@

(10:12:15) stonecoldken: My Thanksgivin​g wish, is that every single guy on this board find a Thanksgivin​g whore to wear out.

Offline 919R

• Head Coach
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 10:13:45 am »
Sounds like a very nice signing. I just hope everyone here now stays, everyone remains healthy and eligible. It would be nice to have a full roster for a change.

Online EE9er

• Senior Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 10:42:44 am »
Sounds like a very nice signing. I just hope everyone here now stays, everyone remains healthy and eligible. It would be nice to have a full roster for a change.

I see what you are saying but we did have a full roster last year.  This year... yeah ok.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO.  Part of a coaches job is managing a roster and player egos.  The fact that there were transfers, while not his fault, are part of the game and should not be an excuse for under-performing this year. "
NWA - 5/8/13

Offline scollie41

• MemberPF
  • Junior
  • 49er Club Member & FSL Owner
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 10:56:08 am »
This is exciting news. It's good to see Odom having such an influence on our recruiting and pulling in some guys he looked at while at VT.

Now we are down to one open scholarship and if we can get a Forward we would be pretty well rounded. Right now I would say we have the depth to even pick up a project at PF/C if needed. With all of these guards we may be a smaller but faster team next year.

Offline Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 11:05:02 am »

Offline 9erken

• Senior
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 11:07:49 am »
Kid seems to have it together.  I like it.

So are we expecting him to be a big time contributor his first year.  If so seems we're a little heavy in the guard area.  I wonder if they are banking on Luka not coming back?  I sure hope not.
Projecting where all these new guys will end up on the depth chart is a crapshoot at this point. Even with having seen Mayfield and Voncina in an exhibition (or playing for UGA in Mayfield's case), we really have no idea what they can do as a Niner. Same goes for the freshmen coming in obviously. If Voncina can play, there will definitely be minutes available, since no one has locked down any positions (though Green/Briscoe probably are starters at pg in some capacity at the beginning).

Offline Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 11:08:02 am »
First dual-sport star in Charlotte history?

I was wondering the same.  I know some of the incoming freshman on the baseball team were successful football players.  There are a couple of QB's and a LB on the roster. Can you red shirt in one sport but play in another?

Offline 9erken

• Senior
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 11:13:49 am »
http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201012120605?page=1&build=cache

Obstacles haven't slowed Henry
Wow, what a story. He's seen a lot of hardships. Seems to have done a good job keeping his head up despite the tough times.

Offline 49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:22 am »

NA, I have to request that you change your avatar. I keep thinking you are KTown/TRL. I was like, "Wow! Such positivity from KTown!" and then.. no.

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

Offline Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:18 am »
Sounds promising.  I like that we've been able fill different positions.  Welcome to Charlotte, Henry!

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Online EE9er

• Senior Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 12:04:39 pm »
Did some searching trying to figure out what type of player he is found these two threads on the VCU board

The good
http://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4012&hilit=Henry

the not so good, but I think it's documented in that article that is posted.
http://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4426&hilit=henry
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO.  Part of a coaches job is managing a roster and player egos.  The fact that there were transfers, while not his fault, are part of the game and should not be an excuse for under-performing this year. "
NWA - 5/8/13

Offline VA49er

• Head Coach
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 12:27:17 pm »
Did some searching trying to figure out what type of player he is found these two threads on the VCU board

The good
http://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4012&hilit=Henry

the not so good, but I think it's documented in that article that is posted.
http://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4426&hilit=henry

I saw those this morning.  Seems VCU has had a bit of bad luck lately with recruits decommitting. VCU is sitting alone a top the CAA so not sure it really matters. 

Offline 919R

• Head Coach
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 12:41:42 pm »

I see what you are saying but we did have a full roster last year.  This year... yeah ok.

No, we didn't have 13 scholarship players last year either. I think we might have had 11 last year, without looking it up.

Edit: Yep, just checked last years roster. We had 11 scholarship players and this number included Rashad Coleman who was out the majority of the season. I don't think we've had 13 schol. players eligible/healthy in quite a few years.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:55:47 pm by 919R »

Offline GreenWhite13

• Walk On
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 12:46:17 pm »
This is the closest to a true PG, we'll have, I'd say. Good to hear. So he is a 2 star right?

Offline jfickett

• Senior
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 12:52:16 pm »
This is the closest to a true PG, we'll have, I'd say. Good to hear. So he is a 2 star right?

Yes, listed as a 2 star 88 rating on ESPN.  Was originally a 4 star 92 rating, but along the same lines as E Vic, they dropped him as soon as he signed with a school outside a BCS conference.  ESPN ratings are straight garbage.
N1NER 2/16/14:  Niner Basketball - Where you would rather go furniture shopping with the wife, instead of getting excited about the game.

Offline Ruckus42

• Junior
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 01:10:10 pm »
Why has it yet to show up on Ninerreport or the Observer?
Always Bringin Da Ruckus!!

Offline moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2011, 01:17:22 pm »
from ESPN analyst, Reggie Rankin: Henry is a former VCU commit and picked the 49ers over Akron, Marshall, West Virginia, Xavier and Virginia Tech and late interest from Clemson and Virginia. Henry will bring a defensive mind set and the ability to make others better.

Offline Tintin

• Senior
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2011, 01:20:30 pm »
Any chance he becomes our first football recruit?
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

Offline mightymitchfan

• Junior
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2011, 01:22:55 pm »
Why has it yet to show up on Ninerreport or the Observer?

It's on the message board but site rules may make them wait for a press release or confirmation from the player before they post an article or update the profile, I'm not sure.

I know everyone was hoping we landed Elijah Carter but it's interesting that on Henry's rival page the first player listed as a "similar player" is Carter.  This years class looks really good on paper just need these guys to come in work hard and play up to their potential.  If they can do that I like where this program is heading.

Offline mightymitchfan

• Junior
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 01:26:41 pm »
Any chance he becomes our first football recruit?

His thoughts on the subject.

VCURamNation: In addition to being recognized as a great basketball player, you are also known to be a darn good football player as well. You have said in the past that you would consider both sports if opportunities presented themselves. How does that situation affect your commitment to VCU at this point?

Pierria’: It doesn’t at all because honestly yes, ever since I was a little kid I’ve played all sports from basketball, football, baseball, and track, so i wanted to make history like just a few people that played both. But when it all came to reality I would have to choose which one will pay my bills in the future. If I wanted to be the best, or even make it to the pros then I would have to work after the work is over if you know what i mean, so in the off-season i wouldn’t be able to work on that position and get better because i would still be in a regular season in the other sport. Then it also takes time from my education, so really i have to choose one that i know i will work harder in, therefore i will live and stay in a gym but i would only spend a couple hours on a football field. So really I’m just going off of God-blessed talent because I just play to have fun and be a kid, I couldn’t do it for a living…

http://www.vcuramnation.com/2010/10/qa-with-2011-vcu-commit-pierria-henry/

Offline Hal Jordan

• Walk On
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

69 Guests, 16 Users