Recent

Author Topic: NCAA looking to cut scholarships  (Read 1399 times)

Offline ninerID

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
NCAA looking to cut scholarships
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »
http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34357912

Reductions to both FBS and FCS.

If FBS goes from 85 to 80 that is quite a gain for us as we start out.

With 5 FBS teams in the state, that is 25 student athletes that have to find a home elsewhere from the 4 acc schools and ECU.
lurking in my lurkim

Offline PARMAN

• Sophomore
Re: NCAA looking to cut scholarships
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:26:21 pm »
http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34357912

Reductions to both FBS and FCS.

If FBS goes from 85 to 80 that is quite a gain for us as we start out.

With 5 FBS teams in the state, that is 25 student athletes that have to find a home elsewhere from the 4 acc schools and ECU.

It also makes it easier for us to make the jump to FBS.

Online 49RFootballNow

• Athletic Director
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:16:02 pm »
5 scholarships cut and these folks are whining about reduced chances for student-athletes. What they're really whining about is reduced chances to pocket athletes to keep them off other schools' rosters. The number of football scholarships is a joke in the first place. 85 FULL football scholarships is already a ridiculous amount. It should be 60 FBS/ 40 FCS respectively.

Offline dmastinsc

• Freshman
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:31:35 pm »
5 scholarships cut and these folks are whining about reduced chances for student-athletes. What they're really whining about is reduced chances to pocket athletes to keep them off other schools' rosters. The number of football scholarships is a joke in the first place. 85 FULL football scholarships is already a ridiculous amount. It should be 60 FBS/ 40 FCS respectively.

85 too many?  I think if I'm a coach I would want the opportunity to recruit an entire offensive and defensive squad each season, and 85 total schollies do not even get me that.  Pocketing athletes is a bit of a strong charge when nothing is guaranteed when recruiting a high schooler...just like any other sport, you can never have too may recruits because most will not live up to their potential and I don't think coaches are saying "haha, now school X can't get them" as much as them hoping that that player turns out to be great. 
"We just have to keep our effort humble." -Coach Major

''Don't worry that you don't have enough. If you rely on each other, you've got enough.'' -Coach Major

Online 49RFootballNow

• Athletic Director
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:06:49 pm »

85 too many?  I think if I'm a coach I would want the opportunity to recruit an entire offensive and defensive squad each season, and 85 total schollies do not even get me that.  Pocketing athletes is a bit of a strong charge when nothing is guaranteed when recruiting a high schooler...just like any other sport, you can never have too may recruits because most will not live up to their potential and I don't think coaches are saying "haha, now school X can't get them" as much as them hoping that that player turns out to be great.

Yes, 85 IS too many. 22 players play the game offense/defense each game. If each has 1 scholarship player backing him up and playing special teams that's 44 FULL scholarships. I wouldn't restrict partial scholarships, but the thought that anything north of 60 full scholarships isn't enough to field a football team is a fallacy.

Offline -Charlotte49ers-

• Freshman
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:58:25 am »

Yes, 85 IS too many. 22 players play the game offense/defense each game. If each has 1 scholarship player backing him up and playing special teams that's 44 FULL scholarships. I wouldn't restrict partial scholarships, but the thought that anything north of 60 full scholarships isn't enough to field a football team is a fallacy.

Not to mention the fact that many of them are half-retarded. Ever listen to post-game news conferences? I'm stuck at a job I hate and can't get a job in the field I studied. I can't tell you how many Charlotte grads I know that are working dead-end, low paying jobs and can't get out. Then you have people at BCS schools that can hardly spell scholarship, but now have the same piece of paper I do, only it's a bigger name school, they didn't have to pay for it, and were given special treatment as "student athletes." I say drop the number of full scholarships and bring back the REAL STUDENT-athlete.
Formerly Ckroush.

Offline EE9er

• Senior Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »

You realize they can do that, well they are off by 3... so one year out of four they can only recruit 19 positions instead of 22 boo hoo... They pretty much have 4 strings at each position (22*4 = 88)  that's stupid and I'd say 20-30 kids never see the field anyway.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO.  Part of a coaches job is managing a roster and player egos.  The fact that there were transfers, while not his fault, are part of the game and should not be an excuse for under-performing this year. "
NWA - 5/8/13

Offline 4ever niner

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 02:40:13 pm »

Yes, if I'm a coach at a top level program I want to recruit 100 or more, not 85. Also, if I'm a billionaire, I want to be a muiltibillionaire. Yes, some recruits will turn out to not be productive as athletes, but that will be the case no matter what the scholarship limit is and will also be the case for all coaches, not just one. I'm sorry if 5 less football players get free tuition. Perhaps (and I know this is crazy!) 5 more academic scholarships could be given in their stead.

36 Guests, 3 Users