Author Topic: CUSA/MWC Merger or Alliance Scenarios.  (Read 2589 times)

Offline ninersfan99

• Sophomore
CUSA/MWC Merger or Alliance Scenarios.
« on: February 18, 2012, 03:53:24 pm »

CUSA/MWC Merger or Alliance Scenario:

14 team All Sports league that would look like this:

1. Marshall
2. Memphis
3. ECU
4. Temple
5. UMass
6. Old Dominion
7. Charlotte

What the League would look like in 2015 or 2016 with 24 teams.

Pod 1.

1. UMass
2. Temple
3. Marshall
4. ECU
5. ODU
6. Charlotte

Not as quality as the A10 for basketball, but seems acceptable for all sports. Thought App was rumored in this as well, but didn't see anything on them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:54:55 pm by ninersfan99 »
(19:18:49) GreenWhite12: Major doesn't know what he's doing
(13:23:08) Niner_National: no. i think major is a bad coach.
(13:23:51) J_Felt: i think Major is an excellent X & Os guy
(21:11:48) Powerbait: I don't know anything, I'm just an ignorant asshole.

Offline Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Re: CUSA/MWC Merger or Alliance Scenarios.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:56:37 pm »
Memphis going Big East.

Offline ninersfan99

• Sophomore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »
Memphis going Big East.

Is that why App was possibly rumored then? You'd have App join to fill the 14 teams and be in our division?

Offline cltniners

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:33:51 pm »
clt says app will not be invited. travel costs are too high and they are not ready to play in a higher league.
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

Offline ninersfan99

• Sophomore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:53:47 pm »
clt says app will not be invited. travel costs are too high and they are not ready to play in a higher league.

Their plan is to go to a higher league, seems they think they are ready. Being in a division with ODO, Marshall, Temple and Charlotte won't kill'em in costs. Now if they moved to the A10, they'd have twice as much travel cost (if not more).

Offline 49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 05:05:19 pm »

Their plan is to go to a higher league, seems they think they are ready. Being in a division with ODO, Marshall, Temple and Charlotte won't kill'em in costs. Now if they moved to the A10, they'd have twice as much travel cost (if not more).

Why on Earth would App go to the A10?

Offline ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Junior

Offline NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
  • Normbulance Owner
    • Normbulance
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:45:34 pm »

App football is ready - the rest of their sports and facilities are not ready.
6/9/12: Wooooookkk Dixies fuckin rocks with cpipi and hooner teprestin niner nsation suck it aspp@!!@!@

(10:12:15) stonecoldken: My Thanksgivin​g wish, is that every single guy on this board find a Thanksgivin​g whore to wear out.

Offline 49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:53:38 pm »

Their location is not ready. Boone is not ready for FBS level football in roads, airports, hotels, restaurants, ect.; and one has to wonder if 29,000 will still come out to see them lose half their home games. App was averaging 15,000 people at home games before 2007.

Offline NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
  • Normbulance Owner
    • Normbulance
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 05:57:47 pm »

Their location is not ready. Boone is not ready for FBS level football in roads, airports, hotels, restaurants, ect.; and one has to wonder if 29,000 will still come out to see them lose half their home games. App was averaging 15,000 people at home games before 2007.

Yeah that too - Boone is def not ready for it.
6/9/12: Wooooookkk Dixies fuckin rocks with cpipi and hooner teprestin niner nsation suck it aspp@!!@!@

(10:12:15) stonecoldken: My Thanksgivin​g wish, is that every single guy on this board find a Thanksgivin​g whore to wear out.

Offline GreenWhite13

• Walk On
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 06:02:57 pm »
Is this just pure speculation, or is it possible Charlotte will actually change conferences?

Offline 49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 06:05:14 pm »
Is this just pure speculation, or is it possible Charlotte will actually change conferences?
And/or/not, who the hell knows at this point?

Offline NewNiner

• Junior
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 06:05:59 pm »
We thrive on speculation.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

Offline cltniners

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 06:08:21 pm »
We thrive on speculation.

clt says mike p is now tumescent.
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

Offline NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
  • Normbulance Owner
    • Normbulance
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 10:11:17 pm »

Well I think it is past speculation and def possible.  There is too much smoke to deny the possibility.  The real question is how likely is it?

Offline ninersfan99

• Sophomore
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 10:16:16 pm »
Temple could be going to the Big East
http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-15/sports/31063634_1_john-marinatto-big-east-football-only-member

Seems like Big East is picking off most of the top tier markets from this "Alliance".

Offline NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
  • Normbulance Owner
    • Normbulance
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 10:23:26 pm »
Temple could be going to the Big East
http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-15/sports/31063634_1_john-marinatto-big-east-football-only-member

Seems like Big East is picking off most of the top tier markets from this "Alliance".

They could go - but word was Nova was fighting adding them.

Offline PARMAN

• Sophomore
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 12:29:41 am »

A note on the markets you speak of.  The Charlotte market is larger and more lucrative than the Memphis market.  One negative factor for us is the Memphis locals and media love getting behind their team.  We have never been that appealing even in our better years.

Offline 49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 12:38:07 am »

A note on the markets you speak of.  The Charlotte market is larger and more lucrative than the Memphis market.  One negative factor for us is the Memphis locals and media love getting behind their team.  We have never been that appealing even in our better years.

It helps that UT is literally all the way across the state from Memphis. You can get from Charlotte to Chapel Hell in 2 hours. That's more like 5 hours to Knoxville from Memphis. How wonderful would it be if the Tarholes were in Greenville?

Offline PARMAN

• Sophomore
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 08:15:35 am »

It helps that UT is literally all the way across the state from Memphis. You can get from Charlotte to Chapel Hell in 2 hours. That's more like 5 hours to Knoxville from Memphis. How wonderful would it be if the Tarholes were in Greenville?

I don't think it would make much difference.  Lack of familiarity of our program and our successes has hurt us much more than the fact the UNC campus is located 2 and a half hours away.  Have you ever tried mentioning to someone in a casual conversation we were once in the same conference with Cinci, Memphis, Louisville, Marquette, and others?  Their response may surprise you.  Here's one I heard: "Oh no.  UNCC used to play Cincinnati some but it was always a non conference game.  They were never in a coference that good".

Offline 919R

• Head Coach
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 09:49:25 am »

I don't think it would make much difference.  Lack of familiarity of our program and our successes has hurt us much more than the fact the UNC campus is located 2 and a half hours away.  Have you ever tried mentioning to someone in a casual conversation we were once in the same conference with Cinci, Memphis, Louisville, Marquette, and others?  Their response may surprise you.  Here's one I heard: "Oh no.  UNCC used to play Cincinnati some but it was always a non conference game.  They were never in a coference that good".

You need some new friends then. I've never had that kind of response.

Offline T-Dog

• Walk On
  • It's Whatever
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 11:58:33 am »

Complete bullshit on every account.
ASU is in the same media market as Charlotte.

Offline ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:06 pm »

Complete bullshit on every account.

Roads & Airports: Goes both ways. There are FBS teams with worse transportation. That being said, they're already there. You're not. You're batshit insane if you think that potential FBS conferences will ignore the fact that teams will have to fly to an airport two hours away before bussing to Boone. It may not be a deal breaker, but it certainly is not an asset.

Hotels & Restaurants: Not really a big deal, IMO. Is it a destination? No. But Boone is big enough to handle the 25k+ that're going to the games now... I don't see a difference between 25k for FCS and 25k for FBS.

Averaging 15k before 2007: If you're going to call him out, prove him wrong. Lets see some attendance figures. I looked, I couldn't find any.
DUCK FAVIDSON

Offline zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 12:46:46 pm »
Roads & Airports: Goes both ways. There are FBS teams with worse transportation. That being said, they're already there. You're not. You're batshit insane if you think that potential FBS conferences will ignore the fact that teams will have to fly to an airport two hours away before bussing to Boone. It may not be a deal breaker, but it certainly is not an asset.

Hotels & Restaurants: Not really a big deal, IMO. Is it a destination? No. But Boone is big enough to handle the 25k+ that're going to the games now... I don't see a difference between 25k for FCS and 25k for FBS.

Averaging 15k before 2007: If you're going to call him out, prove him wrong. Lets see some attendance figures. I looked, I couldn't find any.

I would argue boone has enough hotels etc. in the surrounding areas... I mean, Blowing Rock is a pretty hot spot, as are the ski resorts during the tourism season... they put those people somewhere. That said, I don't think they'll have 50-60k seats up there anytime soon. Add a few thousand people to games (including those who would be from day-trip driving distance like a Charlotte or ECU) and it would be fine.

As much as I used to subscribe to Boone's lack-of-transportation I would say that it isn't that big of a deal... Teams get up there to play somehow already... And you're right, there are much worse FBS situations out there. They have a 4-lane major highway up there in US421. I've spent many weekends of my life up there with family, I know for a fact that they understand the concept of "snow control", especially on those major highways. Just watch out for the state troopers  :)
The University of Charlotte? I think so.

Representing Niner Nation on Rocky Top since 2010.

Offline cltniners

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 01:08:40 pm »
clt says that app will not happen.

74 Guests, 12 Users